Re: [RedHotJazz] Wrong take on "I'm Goin' Away..."???

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19 3:41 AM
      There is no doubt that both take 27665-3 and 27665-8 have been reported on
      Victor 19083, but this does not prove that the takes are correctly described
      on the Document CDs.

      Can anyone actually hear a difference between the versions on DOCD5426
      (claims-3 with Phil Ohman) and DOCD5627 (claims ­8 with Clarence Johnson)?

      I couldn¹t hear any difference when DOCD5627 was first issued, and I just
      tried it again and I still can¹t. The vocal seems to me to be absolutely
      identical and even if there is some difference of nuance I¹ve missed, that
      does indeed make it very unlikely they come from two different sessions, and
      I feel as sure as you it¹s the same pianist (and therefore Ohman, but in any
      case it all sounds like journeyman work). I note that you think it ³sounds a
      bit different². Where?

      Most Document issues are taken from supplied tapes rather than directly from
      78s and what I think has happened is that somebody has misread a take-3 as a
      take-8 (easy to do, and it is of course possible that all reports of the 78
      have a similar origin, but Document¹s mistake is not evidence that they do!)
      Document¹s source attributes the new take to Victor 19083. I think it¹s
      inconceivable that if it came from a test this would not have been reported.
      Whatever take this is it is on at least one copy of the 78.

      No test pressings of any take have ever been reported.