Wrong take on "I'm Goin' Away..."???

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2012
      Hi gang,

      I've gotten really interested in the song "I'm Goin' Away Just to Wear You Off My Mind" lately.

      It was co-composed by the Smith brothers (Lloyd and Warren, proprietors of the Original Home of Jazz Music store in Chicago, after Clarence Williams abandoned it to move to NY), along with fine pianist Clarence Johnson

      (NOT Charlie Johnson as is incorrectly given on the RedHotJazz website under Alberta Hunter's recordings of it... will someone please rectify this???)

      Anyway, of course you folks probably know the King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band version (with a nice full-length piano solo by Lil Hardin... gee she's been mentioned a lot in the group lately!):

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3JJHLcwn8

      and possibly also the Original Memphis Five version:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N95nNEbWFs4

      But how many of you know the Victor record featuring Edna Hicks? It was recorded in 1923, and she did no less than EIGHT takes of it, at two different recording sessions.

      http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/800001636/B-27665-Im_goin_away_Just_to_wear_you_off_my_mind

      The first session, March 21, 1923, featured Phil Ohman at the piano, and yielded four takes: the first two were rejected, the third mastered into the two issued discs, and the fourth marked "hold".

      take 3:
      http://www.amazon.com/Goin-Away-Just-Wear-Mind/dp/B000UXL51U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345365193&sr=8-1&keywords=I%27m+goin+away+just+to+wear+you+off+my+mind

      take 3:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gasxjnR4ag

      The second session, April 10, 1923, featured co-composer Clarence Johnson himself at the piano, and also yielded four takes (#5-8), but all were rejected! I would imagine this is because Victor had probably already decided which take would be issued, and callously rejected Johnson's entire effort (not to mention any more attempts by Ms. Hicks to polish her performance even more). Why they went ahead with the second recording session in the first place is not clear.

      I was overjoyed a couple of years ago to find out that there's a Document CD compilation containing what seems to be a test pressing of take 8 from this last session, featuring Clarence Johnson! However, after listening to a snippet of it recently, I am bothered, because it doesn't seem to be Johnson at all, but rather Ohman at the piano again! That is not so bad, since I like Phil Ohman's playing, and he plays some tasty stuff on the issued take, but it still bothers me that this reissue appears to be mislabeled! Could this be in fact a test-pressing of take 4, the "hold" take, which also features Ohman? It does sound a bit different from the issued take 3:

      Purportedly "take 8" but more likely take 4 to my ear:
      http://www.amazon.com/Goin-Away-Just-Wear-Mind/dp/B001V9ZYYQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345365193&sr=8-2&keywords=I%27m+goin+away+just+to+wear+you+off+my+mind

      If you would like to hear how composer Clarence Johnson did this (although so far I STILL haven't heard an audio recording of him on this :(
      check out these three piano roll versions here:

      (November, 1922)
      http://www.frankhimpslarchive.com/uploads/I_m_Goin__Away_To_Wear_You_Off_My_Mind_-_US_40637.mid

      (May, 1923)
      http://www.frankhimpslarchive.com/uploads/I_m_Goin__Away_To_Wear_You_Off_My_Mind_-_QRS_2243.mid

      (date unknown)
      http://www.frankhimpslarchive.com/uploads/I_m_Goin__Away_To_Wear_You_Off_My_Mind_-_Staffnote_189.mid

      Luckily, other audio recordings exist of Mr. Johnson with Ms. Hicks, and also Lizzie Miles and others, so we can hear how he really played (very much like his five QRS rolls, I might add). Unhappily, I still don't know of any recordings of him playing this with anybody. Do any test-pressings of the other Victor takes REALLY exist, or is this too much to hope for because they were "rejected" (and presumably destroyed)???

      Thanks in advance,
      Andrew

      P.S. does anyone have the original sheet music for this? I would love a copy/photocopy/scan. I do have some other sheet music which could be used as trading material (or at least copy trading material). I would buy it but it doesn't seem to be reissued anywhere. An original first-edition(?) recently sold on eBay for over $200 !!!:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=330753267413&si=OGjv7LOMnHHiaX6srt6%252Bn52eZM0%253D&viewitem=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 19, 2012
        There is no doubt that both take 27665-3 and 27665-8 have been reported on
        Victor 19083, but this does not prove that the takes are correctly described
        on the Document CDs.

        Can anyone actually hear a difference between the versions on DOCD5426
        (claims-3 with Phil Ohman) and DOCD5627 (claims ­8 with Clarence Johnson)?

        I couldn¹t hear any difference when DOCD5627 was first issued, and I just
        tried it again and I still can¹t. The vocal seems to me to be absolutely
        identical and even if there is some difference of nuance I¹ve missed, that
        does indeed make it very unlikely they come from two different sessions, and
        I feel as sure as you it¹s the same pianist (and therefore Ohman, but in any
        case it all sounds like journeyman work). I note that you think it ³sounds a
        bit different². Where?

        Most Document issues are taken from supplied tapes rather than directly from
        78s and what I think has happened is that somebody has misread a take-3 as a
        take-8 (easy to do, and it is of course possible that all reports of the 78
        have a similar origin, but Document¹s mistake is not evidence that they do!)
        Document¹s source attributes the new take to Victor 19083. I think it¹s
        inconceivable that if it came from a test this would not have been reported.
        Whatever take this is it is on at least one copy of the 78.

        No test pressings of any take have ever been reported.