Re: Lil Armstrong, Gus Drobegg, Ezra Shelton, J. Russel Robinson, Edythe Baker

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 54 , Aug 19, 2012
      Hello Mordechai (or Mr. Litzman if you prefer),

      I just listened to "Sweet Lovin' Man" and heard the same solo to which you refer. This does not sound out of character for Ms. Hardin from this period, so I would say it's probably typical:

      King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band:- "Sweet Lovin' Man" (1923)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxBc7PjA6pc
      Uploaded by JoolyOTR on May 1, 2010

      It's a nice solo (well, two-handed accompaniment to the clarinet), lots of her walking bass, etc. with the right hand carefully moving against the left hand. It kind of reminds me of two other Chicago pianists who were active at the time: Gus (Gustav) "Whity" Drobegg, and Ezra Howlett Shelton.

      If you listen to the numerous piano rolls of the former, and the two or three known audio recordings of the latter (particularly "Flapper Stomp" and "Dearest Darling", reissued on Document Records, and nowhere else as far as I'm aware) you'll immediately hear what I'm talking about!

      Gus Drobegg (a few examples of his many many piano rolls):

      "You Know You Belong to Somebody Else" (1922)
      (The link is for the Supertone reissue of the 88-note roll.
      As an aside, the Columbia G-roll version of this was recorded in the 1950s, on an EXTREMELY out-of-tune Seeburg KT Special orchestrion,
      at the Deansboro Musical Museum, on the Westminster LP
      "Honky-Tonk in Hi-Fi". On this LP, the tune is mis-titled
      "Georgia Cabin Door", another 1922 tune which was probably
      also on the same roll):
      http://www.trachtman.org/rollscans/midifiles/PDfiles/2006/12/Supertone-5260_YouKnowYouBelongToSomebodyElse(1922)_eRollMIDI_Wexp.mid

      "Ji-Ji-Boo" (1922)
      http://www.trachtman.org/rollscans/midifiles/PDfiles/2008/09/Columbia-482_Ji-Ji-Boo(1922)_eRollMIDI_Wexp.mid

      "Georgette" (1922)
      http://www.pianorollscans.org/midis/Georgette(1922)_SupertonePlayerWordRoll-5230_GusDrobegg.mid

      I have no idea if Mr. Drobegg ever hung out in the black neighborhood in Chicago, or was familiar with Ms. Hardin or any other pianists from around there, but it's quite likely. It's also possible he originated some of this manner of playing and that Ms. Hardin and others were familiar with his piano rolls (made by the Columbia company in Chicago and fairly widely distributed at the time). He may have also appeared on the radio in the early 20's but I don't have radio listings right now so cannot look it up.

      It is also possible that neither pianist knew of the other, but instead shared common influences. Without either of them being alive today to be interviewed, we may never know for sure, but it's fun to speculate!

      ---

      As for Ezra Howlett Shelton, being female, African-American, and a jazz pianist on the South Side of Chicago in the early 20s, I would be EXTREMELY surprised if she did not know Ms. Hardin (or, for that matter, Lovie Austin). This also makes me wonder why I don't find mention of her in any of the standard jazz history books, but it's probably the same reason why James Blythe and other very good and (in their day) well-regarded musicians do not make it into these books
      (or at least barely receive a single mention):

      Their names are not already known to most jazz enthusiasts weaned on the revival from the 50s onward, and so it was presumably not considered necessary to mention them in the book, since the whole point of publishing the book was apparently to make money, and already-famous names seem to make more money than obscure ones!!!

      [Our loss, since it is now impossible to personally interview most of these musicians, although if we're lucky some of their relatives may still be alive]

      Ezra Howlett Shelton:

      "Dearest Darling" (1923? Autograph label)
      http://www.amazon.com/Dearest-Darling/dp/B001VAA5YE/ref=sr_1_85?ie=UTF8&qid=1345356967&s=dmusic&sr=1-85

      "Flapper Stomp" (later 20s)
      (featuring vocals by Ms. Shelton, I believe)
      http://www.amazon.com/Flappers-Stomp/dp/B001W4I366/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345357032&s=dmusic&sr=1-2

      ---

      J. Russel Robinson and Edythe Baker were two other pianists known at the time to the public (from their vaudeville appearances, major-label piano rolls, and audio recordings) who had a similar manner of playing, with, in the left hand, lots of walking bass with the bottom note being anticipatory, and the top note hitting on the downbeat. (Of course, this device was being used by tons of other pianists, but I'm mentioning them also because of the more specific right-hand patterns they used as well, which would take up a great deal of room trying to describe to this group, so please just listen to the recordings and rolls instead to get what I'm saying).

      ---

      Both specialized in blues, although in my humble opinion, Mr. Robinson's blues playing was more authentic than Ms. Baker's (and no wonder, Robinson worked for W.C. Handy for years, and previously had toured all over the country, including the deep south, in a vaudeville act, where he got to hear all manner of early ragtime and blues pianists).

      J. Russel Robinson:

      (bite-sized samples of many of his piano rolls, courtesy of the Billingses in Nevada):
      http://www.sierramusicrolls.com/robinson.html

      Full-length versions of several of Mr. Robinson's rolls can be heard in many places, including Youtube, Pianola.co.nz [Robert Perry's website], Warren Trachtman's roll scans page, pianorollscans.org
      [Erik York's website], and here on Frank Himpsl's new site:

      http://www.frankhimpslarchive.com/Page_20.html

      Here are a few of the Youtube gems:

      QRS 1017 - You Can't Get Lovin' Where There Ain't Any Love - Fox Trot - Played by J. Russel Robinson
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-7ZhhYZKts
      Uploaded by AAErikCO on Sep 13, 2009

      Saint Louis Blues W.C.Handy
      [Robinson's QRS roll version, originally issued in 1920, I think.
      MAN, he really takes off on this one, and plays practically the entire Jogo Blues in the middle, with a real hard-rocking, hard-driving 8-to-the-bar feel... FANTASTIC!!!]
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48vRpbVWzTw
      Uploaded by PianoWorldEnterprise on Mar 20, 2010

      The Beal(e) Street Mama- A piano roll by J. Russel Robinson
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vElt97RP0fo
      Uploaded by Pianosyncrazy on Feb 23, 2012

      Of course J. Russel Robinson also recorded prolifically, both as a pianist and vocalist (particularly with his vaudeville partner Al Bernard as the "Dixie Stars" who were kind of the aural blackface equivalent to Sissle and Blake's "Dixie Duo").

      Here's one of the very best records he did as one-half of the "Dixie Stars", together with a studio band as well. Not only does Robinson sing and banter back and fourth with the lead singer Bernard, but he also takes an EXQUISITE swinging piano solo in the middle, with tasty right-hand fill-ins! Very nice!!!:

      NEVER GETTIN' NO PLACE BLUES by The Dixie Stars 1924
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gd6ndiDi5I
      Uploaded by cdbpdx on Dec 21, 2011

      J. Russel Robinson's four solo piano records, recorded in the 1940s for the "Eagle" label (not the "Circle" label as I was incorrectly told several years ago) are so rare that NO ONE I've talked with has ever seen or heard of a single existing example of them, leading me to believe that no copies exist. (PLEASE prove me wrong!!!) They've never been reissued on LP or CD to the best of my knowledge, and the only place they're mentioned anywhere seems to be Tom Lord's jazz discography (which begs the question of how HE knows about them!!!)

      ---

      However, Ms. Baker had a swingy charm all her own, which is also evident on her late-20s recordings made after she moved to the UK. (In my opinion, in terms of texture, embellishments, and overall swing, her style didn't change all that much from the earlier Aeolian rolls, although you can tell she kept up with the latest harmony trends. Obviously, also, of course the records are records, and rolls are rolls).

      Edythe Baker:

      St. Louis Blues (Duo-Art roll originally issued in March, 1920):
      Duo-Art - Saint Louis Blues - Baker
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVrGDECqBE
      Uploaded by pianmn199 on Nov 19, 2011

      Player Piano Roll - I've Got A Song For Sale
      [another piano roll, from c. 1923]
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEbsMKo8m60
      Uploaded by Pianosyncrazy on Jan 19, 2012

      Edythe Baker - Lucky Day & Where's that Rainbow
      [audio recordings from 1927, very snappy!]
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0I4U6LLu64
      Published on Mar 8, 2012 by syncopeter

      Edythe Baker - Birth of the blues
      [another audio recording]
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHvbatAmJfs
      Uploaded by syncopeter on Feb 6, 2012
      [nice double-time, and a few lightning-fast blues octave riffs!]

      I would like to make one more remark: another trait all four of these pianists seem to share in common (plus of course Lil Armstrong) is a frequent use/addition of the syncopation which ties across the bar line (the "and" of beat 4, tying across to beat 1 of the next bar), which is a bit more sophisticated than was heard from most pianists in the ragtime period (and rarely found printed in any of the "pop" rags, although it is frequently found in the "classic" rags). This leads a nice forward motion and somewhat more "modern" swing (than previous styles) to the work of these pianists.

      sincerely,
      Andrew

      P.S. if anyone has any of the UBER-rare records made by Mr. Drobegg's orchestra ("Whity's Drobeg Orchestra" or "Drobegg's Frolic Orchestra" on either the "Olympic" or "Supertone" labels, recorded for a short time in Chicago circa 1924), please let me know!

      I'd LOVE to hear ANY of these sides, they've never been reissued on CD, and the original records almost never turn up! After hearing his great (but often heavily over-arranged) piano rolls for years, I'd love to hear how he REALLY played!!!

      P.P.S. Gus Drobegg also made my all-time favorite piano roll of "Limehouse Blues" (it swings like hell!), which (as were all Columbia and Capitol 88-note rolls) was also adapted for coin-op rolls and appears on "Messin' Around" Vol. 1, an LP of blues-oriented piano roll music, taken from A-rolls on the Capitol label and recorded by Ed Sprankle in the 1970s on his "Euphonic" label.

      I'd LOVE to find an original 88-note version of this roll, but have no idea if any exist. It would have been issued/reissued on the Capitol, Supertone, Cecile, Sterling, or American roll labels. We are fortunate that a few different coin-op rolls with the adaptation/reduction of this roll still survive, such as the one on the LP.

      Remind me, I may have a MIDI file of the A-roll, and if so, I'll upload it to the files section for your enjoyment!

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...> wrote:

      > I am not sure that I understand all the terms you use to describe Lil Armstrong's piano playing but there is a long solo playing behind Johnny Dodds at appr. the 55 sec mark on King Oliver's 1923 recording Sweet Loving Man. Here you can hear Lil very clearly for about 35 seconds. Is this solo typical of her style?

    • ROBERT R. CALDER
      Message 54 of 54 , Aug 23, 2012
        Well said, Luis!
        NETIQUETTE, PLEASE, some would-be contributors!!!
        You come here to respond to messages
        NOT TO BURY THEM in copies of the same text
        Please delete the hundreds of lines to which
        you are replying.

        RRC