Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Identification request A vintage Jazz band on a video

  • Alex Hill
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11 11:18 AM
      Hi, Tommersl,

      had a look at the video... all good.... zoomed to the time selected at
      3.05.... saw the clarinetist but not sure if it was him so I used 'Bing' to
      find Johnny Dodds images...

      http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=johnny+dodds&FORM=HDRSC2

      Now that could be a similarity as I had thought Johnny Dodds was stockier
      but looks like I am wrong...

      ta

      Alex of Bournemouth, Dorset
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12 4:04 AM
        Dear Tommersl,

        If you look at the clarinetist's mouthpiece on the video, you'll see that the screws holding the reed in place are on the top of the instrument.

        On all the photographs I've seen of Johnny Dodds he places the screws under the mouthpiece. This is not conclusive evidence, of course, but I think it points in the direction of it not being Dodds on the video.

        I'm no expert on reed instruments, but my impression is that most reed players place the screws under the mouthpiece.

        In fact, I've not been able to find a photo of a reed player who places the screws on top of the mouthpiece.

        Hope this helpd.

        Kind Regards

        Bob Smith

      • ALAN BOND
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 12 9:43 AM
          I worked with several reed men who placed the clamping screws over the top of their mouthpiece, not only on clarinet but on various saxophones too. It is purely a matter of personal preference and one reed man, whose name escapes me after 50 years, told me when asked that he would be put off by having the screws right in front of his nose.
          TTFN - 007