Re: [RedHotJazz] Tal Henry and His North Carolinians 1929 Vitaphone clip

  • Jack Kirschenbaum
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2012
      Loved it,thanks for the link.

      Sent from my iPad

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2012
        Tal Henry and His North Carolinians also recorded for Victor in 1928, which
        are in Jazz Records, and for Bluebird in 1934, which Jazz Records describes
        as ³straight commercials². Thety are all in American Dance Bands. As far as
        I determine the only reissue is one of the 1928 tracks on a long-gone
        territory bands LP.

      • Mordechai Litzman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2012
          Just took a look a YouTube. There are at least half a dozen recordings by Tal Henry on Victor 1928, and one 1934 recording. The playing and sound quality of the '28 Victors are excellent! Well worth listening to and a real discovery!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2012
            I have two mp3 recordings by Tal Henry.

            My little old home down in New Orleans
            Victor 40034 matrix 48432-3

            Found my gal Victor 40035 matrix 48428-2

            Sent from my iPad

            On Jun 11, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Howard Rye <howard@...> wrote:

            > Tal Henry and His North Carolinians also recorded for Victor in 1928, which
            > are in Jazz Records, and for Bluebird in 1934, which Jazz Records describes
            > as “straight commercials”. Thety are all in American Dance Bands. As far as
            > I determine the only reissue is one of the 1928 tracks on a long-gone
            > territory bands LP.

            > howard@...
            > Tel/FAX: +44 20 8521 1098

          • ALAN BOND
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2012
              With hundreds (if not thousands) of dance bands around during the period it would be naive to think that all of them played 'straight' dance music all the time and many of these performances made it on to disc. The difficulty is in finding them, especially with 78s in short supply. If it wasn't for these discoveries and their uploading on to You Tube we would never have been able to experience these gems. Full marks to those who share this marvellous stuff with us. Another thing to remember is that what might be 'just' dance music to us was bread and butter to millions of musicians, the majority of whom never had their true talents recognised by lucrative recording and broadcasting contracts. Jazz was the music of the time and its influences were widespread but let us not forget that there is a world of difference between these musicians and those of the present 'pop' world, almost all of whom would receive awards for just knowing how to plug in a
              synthesiser. I those days it was real talent.

              TTFN - 007