Re: [RedHotJazz] Help locating stray sessions in reissue

  • JamesJazz
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
      I have the Jazum Weatherford LP but not the ability to digitize it (yet). But I'll be happy to share those tracks hopefully this month when I get some new equipment.
      Likewise, the Mosley LP.

      What I have been searching for are the Clarence Profit tracks that were/are on a CD but can't find it. I have his LP but the CD contains extra stuff, and we collectors LOVE extra stuff, don't we???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Jim Gallert
      www.detroitmusichistory.com
      www.jazzstage.us

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
        Thanks Hans, I'll check it out.

        And I see that I had overlooked most of the Don Redman sides on another Chronological Classics release, split with the remaining Mckinney's Cotton Pickers sides and four Harlan Lattimores.

        I am particularly surprised, given their Charley Turner band personnel, that the Emmett Mathews sides apparently haven't seen reissue, although with only eight titles they're too few to constitute a cd of their own. The two volume "Sounds of Harlem" on Hep collected similarly worthy but limited sessions, but the Mathews and Moseley sessions don't appear to have seen cd reissue. One might add Frank Froeba's titles, although I've found the Froeba cuts with Midge Williams vocals on cd's under her name.

        I ask about Graham Jackson because while Rust shows only two never released pre-war sides, he was around long enough to have been recorded post-war. In fact I have an early 70's lp by his Graham Jackson gospel choir, but he is only the choir director on the record. I hope to hear a sample of his own playing some day; I believe he still played publicly in Georgia for awhile after the war. There is film footage of his playing the accordian during Pres. Roosevelt's funeral procession in 1945, but alas there seems to be no sound footage or airchecks of him from that era.

        Warren

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Hans van der Vink <vanderha@...> wrote:

        > For #4, try www.tajmahalfoxtrot.com. Apart from some samples of Teddy Weatherford's work, it is an interesting site.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Hans P. van der Vink

      • djwein
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2012
          The Froeba session with Jack Purvis is on the Purvis set from Jazz Oracle.
          And the Froeba sides with Bunny Berigan are on the Berigan Mosaic set.

          Dave Weiner

          One might add Frank Froeba's titles, although I've found the Froeba cuts
          with Midge Williams vocals on cd's under her name.

          Warren
        • ikey100
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
            Yes, Jim, I definitely should include Clarence Profit's tracks on my own wish list. I have only a couple tracks on piano anthologies and some of the less representative washboard band acompaniments; given his trio's reputation it's regrettable that all their tracks (a dozen or so?) aren't easily obtainable. I didn't even know they'd been reissued on cd.

            Warren

            --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, JamesJazz <jamesjazz@...> wrote:

            > I have the Jazum Weatherford LP but not the ability to digitize it (yet). But I'll be happy to share those tracks hopefully this month when I get some new equipment.
            > Likewise, the Mosley LP.
            >
            > What I have been searching for are the Clarence Profit tracks that were/are on a CD but can't find it. I have his LP but the CD contains extra stuff, and we collectors LOVE extra stuff, don't we???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            >
            > Jim Gallert
            > www.detroitmusichistory.com
            > www.jazzstage.us

          • stevenabrams78jazz
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2012
              I have been collecting swmall combo sides of the 30's for many
              years and I have the 78s of the 8 Matthews sides and 4 of the Dick Porter sides. Would love to get the other Porter sides.
              Another one I was lucky to find is the Al Duffy quarter
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "ikey100" <wlmoorman3@...> wrote:

              > I'm hoping to hear some of these sessions, I'd have thought them mostly not terribly obscure, but none of them are on the RHJA. I'm happy to purchase them where available. Can anyone advise about whether these sessions are available in a CD format reissue? Of those that are not, does anyone perhaps have files to share of any of the material?
              >
              > 2. Emmet Mathews: 1936, Vocalion (8 tracks, only his 1931 coupling with Laura Rucker appears available on Document)
              STEVEN ABRAMS
              SAN FRANCISCO
            • ikey100
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
                Thanks, Dave. (And Jim, Steven, and Hans).