JOPLIN RAGTIME ORCHESTRA AND TRIESTE EARLY JAZZ ORCHESTRA

  • liviolaurenti
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2012
      Dear Friends,

      my name is Livio Laurenti from Trieste, Italy and ,as many of you out there, I also had joned the group because of the misterious 404 error which caused me a lot of pain when I realized that I wasn't any longer able to access all the clips I had found nor the new ones I wanted to hear for the first time. I came across the RHJ site some 12 years ago and that encounter led me to a very ambitious endeavour. Having listened to such great music day after day, in 2002 I resolved myself to found an orchestra called JOPLIN RAGTIME ORCHESTRA - JRO devoted to ragtime and early twenties music. Then, in 2010, I founded the TRIESTE EARLY JAZZ ORCHESTRA - TEJO which is the logical continuation of the JRO and presents tunes from 1925 through 1934. I can say that the RHJ site has been essential in these two important achievements of mine. Where else could I have got such an "education" in early jazz and the irresistible push towards creating two orchestras ?

      The TRIESTE EARLY JAZZ ORCHESTRA – TEJO is an orchestral ensemble that gathers the top jazz players from the Trieste area, some of whom are well known also outside Italian borders.The personnel consists of: 1 violin, 2 alto saxes, 1 tenor sax, 2 trumpets, 1 trombone, tuba, guitar, piano and drums. Facebook/tejorch Email : tejorch@... . The TEJO has performed at the closing evening of the 11th Rimini Jazz Festival and cut a CD live called "TRIESTE EARLY JAZZ ORCHESTRA LIVE IN RIMINI".
      See http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&v=KbTYnl54Xho&gl=US

      The arrangements that are presented are ORIGINAL OF THOSE DAYS and include compositions by H.Carmichael, D.Ellington, F.Henderson, G.Gershwin,etc. Both in Europe and outside Europe there may be only one handful of similar ensembles that have taken such philological approach. It is, in fact, worth mentioning that all arrangements were conceived for a kind of proto big band.We still find the violin but not yet the string bass.
      As you know ,since the second half of the Thirties a radical change took place to the usual line up of large ensembles, as we still hear them today. The total number of players is 17-19, with 5 saxophones, 4/5 trumpets, 4/5 trombones, no violin and the string bass to replace the tuba.

      In spite of only 11 musicians, one of whom is a violinist, the sound impact is by all means strong enough both in the melodic and in the hot tunes and this is due to the beauty of the original arrangements. As it usually happened then, many pieces were written for the Broadway musicals and that’s the reason why the TEJO has its own crooner: Paolo Venier. In addition, often two young emerging dancers participate in the concert events: Samantha Benedetti and Giovanni Panasiti whose coaches are former Italian champions Fulvio and Marisa Settomini.

      The JOPLIN RAGTIME ORCHESTRA - JRO, www.jro.it , Email: jro@... consists of 2 violins, viola, cello, doublebass, flute/piccolo, clarinet,
      trumpet,trombone ,tuba,piano and drums. The repertoire spans from ragtime to early twenties tunes, sometimes adapting the original charts with saxes for the string section . In 2006 the JRO cut a CD called "Rag,Blues,Hot" which was very well received by the public and praised by the critics (see English "Home page" ,"Blog" and "About Me") . The two CD's are self-produced and carry no label . If you wish to purchase them here are the costs including priority postage :

      1 TEJO EUROPE = € 13,00
      1 JRO EUROPE = € 13,00
      1 TEJO USA = € 14,00

      1 JRO USA = € 16,00

      1 JRO + 1 TEJO EUROPE = € 20,00

      1 JRO + 1 TEJO USA = € 24,00

      MODE OF PAYMENT : Paypal or remittance into bank account.

      If you are interested, just email me and I'll give you further details.

      P.S. Since no attachments are allowed to mails sent to the group I will be delighted to send a few clips of the JRO CD individually to those of you who may be interested.

      Ciao , Livio

    • Bob Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 1:09 PM
        Dear Livio,

        Welcome to the group, and thanks for a very interesting E-mail. I'm writing this to let you know what is happening about error code 404.

        We have removed correspondence about this to a separate user group that you might like to join where you can find all the correspondence relating to said error

        The group moderator is Patrice Champarou, and the group's address is:
        rhj-tech@yahoogroups.com

        Kind Regards

        Bob Smith