Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: George FilhÃ(c) (was Oscar 'Be rnie' Young)

  • Duncan
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2012
      Patrice,
      Au contraire (...no, I don't speak french..., I'm just showing off....),
      but anyway, your explanation makes perfect sense and is probably what
      happened not just at this baptism but many, many times with folks' names
      who immigrated to this country or were already here but had "funny soundin'
      ferren names". Now the mystery is why was the name entered as "Field" in
      this particular baptism record and not corrected?

      Howard's presumptions could also be more along the line of what happened
      with this entry.

      Duncan

      On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 2:23 AM, Patrice Champarou <patrice.champarou@...
      > wrote:

      > **
      >

      > *(...I tried to translate from french the name 'Filhe' but got nothing; is
      >
      > it possible that his name had become 'anglicized' to Field?
      >
      > Filhe is an ancient noun for both "son" and "daughter", it can be located
      > as
      > a family name in several parts of France, mostly in the South.
      > But when a patronmyn happens to be anglicised, unlike Christian names it
      > is
      > seldom "tranlated", rather transformed into a phonetical approximation
      > without any consideration for its semantics.
      >
      > Patrice (not of mich help, I know)

    • fearfeasa
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012
        As I recall, New Orleans sources often refer to Filhé as "Field." It's
        par for the course with monoglot English speakers. Isn't the family name
        Filhé found in northern Spain and Portugal as well ?

        JT

        Ar 04/03/12 07:23 :41, scríobh Patrice Champarou:

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2012
          Thanks Duncan --- a wonderful piece of research ! This is probably the
          eldest son of our George(s) Filhé and his wife Sidonia --- but Sidonia,
          if she was 40 in 1919, must have been only 16.

          JT

          Ar 03/03/12 22:45 :38, scríobh Duncan: