Oscar 'Bernie' Young

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2012
      Can anybody come up with any information -- beyond Hillman notes on the Frog
      issue -- on this trumpeter/cornettist active in Chicago in the 20s. He was
      reportedly from N.O. and would have a speculated birth date of about very
      approx. 1890+.

      It seems that the Bernie was no part of his official name.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2012
        There is a Louisiana-born Oscar Young, aged 21, lodging with his wife
        Beatrice, 19, at 505 33rd Street, Chicago, on 10 January 1920. He is a
        laborer in a steel mill but as his landlord was George Filhé, Louisiana-born
        musician, aged 46, I think we can feel some confidence this is our man.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2012
          Howard's Oscar Young, 21 in 1920 Chicago, makes me question just how New
          Orleanian was his style. At the very least, he came to Chicago before full
          maturity and maybe even earlier. This I can believe because his style
          conforms to no N.O. model. His earliest sides are stiff with much mute work
          and suggest nobody more than Johnny Dunn. Later -- assuming this is the same
          player -- he absorbs Chicago Oliver, to whom his mature style is nearest.

          However, the photos in the Frog annual, especially that of the Wisconsin
          Orchestra of 1928, seem to show an older man but then that could have been
          due to wear and tear down at the mill.

          We seem to have no reports after about 1930 or ?