Re: [RedHotJazz] Wild Bill Davison was Introduction

    Message 1 of 66 , Mar 1 2:20 AM
      In case there is any doubt on the point I am not agreeing with the criticism
      that Davison ³was solely Louis derived and a
      plagiarist.²

      It isn¹t his fault that record producers of the 1940s cast him into the
      ³unpolluted imitation 1928 Armstrong² straitjacket. As a professional
      musician trying to make a living he no doubt accepted the gigs he was
      offered and tried conscientiously to play what he was being paid to play.
      The only jazz musicians who ever had the luxury of doing anything else are
      revivalist semi-pros. The result was that he came to spoil the records of
      musicians who functioned in that vocabulary far better than he did and laid
      himself open to the kind of comment quoted from the 1959 ŒJazz On Record¹.

      It does seem to be the case that earlier critics that one would have
      expected to have understood this preferred to ignore Davison altogether.
      John Chilton¹s Grove entry very much redresses the balance and (rightly I
      think) notes only Beiderbecke as a formative influence ³but he soon
      developed a highly individual, robust style.² Chilton also notes his
      ostracism from the Chicago mob during his 30s exile in Milwaukee, consequent
      on being held responsible for the death of Frank Techemacher, which must
      have assisted the development of an independent style.

      The only mystery in all this is just how he came to represent ³unpolluted
      imitation 1928 Armstrong² to the record producers, and why they did not
      import from Chicago any of the several trunpeters still working there who
      could have done that job so much better. I suppose I have just answered my
      own question there. Good enough for jazz.

      Message 66 of 66 , Nov 2, 2012
        Friends,

        I do not intend to send such messages once a year, but at this point I think
        I need to remind new subscribers that this group is run according to the set
        of information, recommendations, and rules which Michael Rader and myself
        edited in 2004, available from the group's "files" section:
        http://tinyurl.com/d4ha6xr

        It needs revising, obviously, since today's Internet users are not the ones
        who used to enjoy email communication in eGroups' time (and this may also
        mean that our groups are obsolete... however, I think they maintain a degree
        of courtesy and privacy which can hardly be found anywhere else).
        Among other things, it should be recalled that Yahoo groups are basically
        mailing-lists (even if some prefer reading on the Web), and that all members
        are supposed to provide valid email addresses.
        In that regard, and considering the first spam message which briefly
        appeared on the board this week (and, fortunately, no-one seems to have
        received), I am not sure I will be able to accept more subscribers with
        disposable yahoo.com or hotmail.com addresses in the next future, unless I
        can individually check their purpose.
        For two reasons:
        - the potential danger of such easily hackable accounts (please note that,
        even with private mail, the apparent sender is seldom the actual "spammer");
        - the increasing number of people who bypass Yahoo's rules by providing
        secondary addresses they *never* check.

        The document I am inviting all "Web only" subscribers to read and understand
        also failed to state the obvious, which is that Yahoo groups are run by
        private individuals, not by employees or slaves anyone is allowed to
        command, or publicly blame.
        We have been able to maintain total freedom of speech as far as the group's
        topic is concerned, but whatever regards management is supposed to be
        addressed to me, not to the 850+ people who just cannot do a thing about it
        (and those who helped me build this group from the start know that anyone
        claiming he cannot get in touch with me is a liar).

        I have always spent as much time as necessary whenever someone asked for
        help, requested information, or reported an incident, I am open to all
        suggestions, I would not even mind giving ownership by now to anyone likely
        to run this list better than I do, BUT I have no time to waste with
        trouble-makers who ignore my private requests, and repeatedly attempt to
        flood everyone with their ins(is)tant demands (fancy we also have a right to
        sleep at night). Such rants will never reach your mailboxes, and this is
        what moderation is for.

        Thanks to everyone's self-discipline, the total number of people I happened
        to ban from this group in eight years' time only amounts to FIVE, plus a
        couple of "silently removed" subscribers who did not even notice it - all of
        them because they thought the cleverest thing to do was to "piss me off" (I
        think Alan Balfour taught me this phrase) and claim they had a right to do
        so.
        Might "work" with... somebody else, not me.

        Early Winter greetings,

        Patrice - redhotjazz-owner@yahoogroups.com (and it works)