RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Introduction

    Message 1 of 66 , Feb 27, 2012
      Always a pleasure to read Howard and I have learned that a mention of
      PanassiƩ can usually elicit a substantial and interesting contribution.

      OK. I withdraw 'mainly historiographical reasons' and substitute 'also
      historiographical reasons'. His criticism of players he liked can be
      extremely perceptive.

      I agree also Sudhalter, so great a writer on what he likes and such a
      bigot -- to be given short shrift ? -- on what he does not. It proves the
      dangers of pontificating on music, the vocabulary of which one does not
      understand.

      I have just flicked through Harris 'Jazz' to try and find some ludicrous
      conceit or judgment but have so far failed. I did find :-

      ' bop should be looked upon as a dialect of the jazz language. Like jazz
      proper, it is Negroid in origin and its basis is the same : free
      improvisation over a regular pulse.' Which is not Harris but Steve Race. I
      observe, at least, that Harris has not pontificated on a vocabulary he does
      not understand but has brought in an 'expert'.

      'Jazz On Record ' 1960 is valuable for the criticism of Alun Morgan and
      particularly Charles Fox. But :-

      'he plays an often exciting and driving kind of music which invariably, at
      some point --- declines into vulgar noise-making, the natural resort of the
      non-Negro musician who cannot achieve his excitement through rhythmic
      subtlety and flow'.

      which must be Peter Gammond, revealing the ultimate in Crow Jim prejudice
      derived from Blesh and/or PanassiƩ.

      Who? Bill Davison, one of the great white originals of our music.

      Message 66 of 66 , Nov 2, 2012
        Friends,

        I do not intend to send such messages once a year, but at this point I think
        I need to remind new subscribers that this group is run according to the set
        of information, recommendations, and rules which Michael Rader and myself
        edited in 2004, available from the group's "files" section:
        http://tinyurl.com/d4ha6xr

        It needs revising, obviously, since today's Internet users are not the ones
        who used to enjoy email communication in eGroups' time (and this may also
        mean that our groups are obsolete... however, I think they maintain a degree
        of courtesy and privacy which can hardly be found anywhere else).
        Among other things, it should be recalled that Yahoo groups are basically
        mailing-lists (even if some prefer reading on the Web), and that all members
        are supposed to provide valid email addresses.
        In that regard, and considering the first spam message which briefly
        appeared on the board this week (and, fortunately, no-one seems to have
        received), I am not sure I will be able to accept more subscribers with
        disposable yahoo.com or hotmail.com addresses in the next future, unless I
        can individually check their purpose.
        For two reasons:
        - the potential danger of such easily hackable accounts (please note that,
        even with private mail, the apparent sender is seldom the actual "spammer");
        - the increasing number of people who bypass Yahoo's rules by providing
        secondary addresses they *never* check.

        The document I am inviting all "Web only" subscribers to read and understand
        also failed to state the obvious, which is that Yahoo groups are run by
        private individuals, not by employees or slaves anyone is allowed to
        command, or publicly blame.
        We have been able to maintain total freedom of speech as far as the group's
        topic is concerned, but whatever regards management is supposed to be
        addressed to me, not to the 850+ people who just cannot do a thing about it
        (and those who helped me build this group from the start know that anyone
        claiming he cannot get in touch with me is a liar).

        I have always spent as much time as necessary whenever someone asked for
        help, requested information, or reported an incident, I am open to all
        suggestions, I would not even mind giving ownership by now to anyone likely
        to run this list better than I do, BUT I have no time to waste with
        trouble-makers who ignore my private requests, and repeatedly attempt to
        flood everyone with their ins(is)tant demands (fancy we also have a right to
        sleep at night). Such rants will never reach your mailboxes, and this is
        what moderation is for.

        Thanks to everyone's self-discipline, the total number of people I happened
        to ban from this group in eight years' time only amounts to FIVE, plus a
        couple of "silently removed" subscribers who did not even notice it - all of
        them because they thought the cleverest thing to do was to "piss me off" (I
        think Alan Balfour taught me this phrase) and claim they had a right to do
        so.
        Might "work" with... somebody else, not me.

        Early Winter greetings,

        Patrice - redhotjazz-owner@yahoogroups.com (and it works)