Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Gus Aiken - verified recordings?

  • Bob Eagle
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 24, 2012
      Once again, assuming that they took the Orizaba both ways, the voyage took a maximum of 7 days (the round trip being 14 days), but maybe only (say) 6 days each way, to allow a day at each end to load and unload.

      If the Orizaba was arriving in New York on 2, 16 and 30 January 1923 (as we know it was), in May it was arriving in New York on 8 and 22 May.  If the troupe had arrived in Havana by 26 May, they would be expected to have arrived in Havana on 15 May (the midpoint between 8 and 22), the Orizaba having left New York about 8-9 May 1923.  The ship's next arrival in Cuba would not be until 29 May.  This scenario is consistent with communications of the time - a letter to Chicago from Havana would have taken a few days, and typesetting would add an extra couple.

      If they took the Orizaba both ways, then they would be unavailable for any New York recording session after about 8-9 May 1923.  Even if they took another vessel, mail delivery times suggest that they could not have left after about 11 May 1923 - in other words, Gus could not be on either Gulf Coast Seven session, because he was in Havana on both session dates.

      Bob