RE: [RedHotJazz] Reissues

    Message 1 of 66 , Feb 16, 2012
      Nice that we are maybe out of hibernation.

      Retrieval v Archeophone KOCJBs we have discussed here before.

      Both are better in parts and both essential for any collection. They also show how subjective -- especially for you Robert -- is audio restoration.

      Extraction of the fullest possible information must be the goal but there must also be musical criteria. Generally, JRT's acoustics sound fuller and more like real music than anybody else's. How much was due to 'artistic' intervention, I'm not sure. I could make a case for a JRT Swaggie LP being the best medium for shellac apart from the original.

      His work is still the benchmark, maybe because he was for most of his life working only in analogue. Digital brings no sonic advantage to analogue other than the possibility of noise reduction software with, however, its intrinsic pitfalls.

      Digital over-intervention is a disease of our times. Blogland is full of self rips of both shellac and vinyl in which the piano -- and often everything else -- is rendered into Sparky's Magic and there is intrusive continuous digital chunter to replace the acceptable, and soon ignorable, normal surface noise.

      'Widening' and lossy MP3s are antithetical to the original integrity of the music.

      As far as I know, Parker cherry picked and almost totally limited himself to extremely good electric copies and I always find him bass boosted heavy.

      Message 66 of 66 , Feb 23, 2012
        Thanks Michael

        I see no reason not to accept Elgar's reported memory.

        What it proves, yet again, is that more players recorded than those whose
        names are known to us and that it is dangerous to seek to attribute
        everything to those whose names we do know.