private exchange of mp3

  • ROBERT R. CALDER
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2012
      It would be better if offers of mp3s were communicated off-list, especially as the intended recipient if receiving one batch daily -- as I do -- might not get as far as the offer through such a jungle of non-netiquette as I have just struggled to plough through in the most recent mailing. There are brief ways of identifying the mail to which one is replying, and the string to which it belongs, and I have not wasted any more time counting the number of times some messages were repeated in the mail I just opened.

      Vinyl can sometimes sound better than CD, and it's worth checking the various means of sampling parts of tracks (e.g. at amazon -- I'm not suggesting whether or not they should subsequently be given the paying business) and respective reviews of respective reprocessings from what was on the original disc or even a preserved metal master.

      If I had a revolver I might be tempted to use it when the word "subjectivity" is trotted out. Ther question is whether the message composed in the studio gets through, and sometimes when asked whether one or another re-engineering of the sound is better one should simply refuse to answer -- when one is not so much better than the other as to render the question silly)
      Sometimes, and I an referring to experience of a wide range of early recordings beyong jazz, hearing a poorer reproduction can actually make the listener aware of some things averaged out or blocked by overall better engineering. Hearing an overall inferior alternative can sharpen the ears, so that you notice more, and in some cases realise that if only you'd practised as your mother wanted you do do you still could never have done what you can still hear after all these years.

      all the best,
      Robert R. Calder