Re: [RedHotJazz] Reissues

    Message 1 of 66 , Feb 14, 2012
      As far as I am concerned the Archeophone set is the state of the art: ‘King
      Oliver Off The Record’, Archeophone OTR-MM6-C2. I am not sure Doug Benson’s
      remastering is really as superior to the John R.T. Davies dubbings on
      Retrieval as it sounds but Benson has the inestimable advantage of working
      from consistently better originals. He also realized that the Paramounts are
      primitive electric recordings and worked with them accordingly.

      Those who prefer the artificially brightened sound of Robert Parker’s
      dubbings are entitled to their opinion, but they don’t get us closer to the
      music, only to Parker’s idea of what it might have sounded like. As he once
      told me himself, his dubbings were not aimed at people who know, but at
      people who wouldn’t otherwise dream of listening to an old record. (But even
      John R.T. Davies was impressed at the amount of detail Parker’s methods
      could extract and to that extent they were an advance.)

      Message 66 of 66 , Feb 23, 2012
        Thanks Michael

        I see no reason not to accept Elgar's reported memory.

        What it proves, yet again, is that more players recorded than those whose
        names are known to us and that it is dangerous to seek to attribute
        everything to those whose names we do know.