Re: Hi

  • stevenabrams78jazz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
      I don't know anything about distances in New York but New York City is where all the traditional bands play...Monday night at Sofia's in the Hotel Edison is Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks night to play.
      Vince also does some of the background music on Boardwalk Empire on HBO.
      I live in San Francisco b ut I never ran across your name.
      I played drums with many of the local trad bands and was good friends with Lu Watters and Turk Murphy. It is sad that the jazz died here in SF. Who did you play with in the 60's ???
      Steven Abrams...Churchill Street Jazz Band

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "chaszzzzz" <chaszigmund@...> wrote:

      > I'm a new member, been listening to traditional jazz since I discovered the Hot Fives in 1955 at age 14. I was a little out of place as a teenager raving to his friends about 1920s-era Louis Armstrong and Jelly Roll Morton in the age of be-bop, doo-wop and later rock and roll, but we're all out of place in some way or other. No?
      >
      > As well as talking about early jazz and current happenings in this group, I'd like to know if there are any bands or musicians into this style in the northern suburbs of NY City. I live in Putnam County, NY, near the northern border of Westchester County. I am a pretty good traditional jazz acoustic guitarist, both rhythm and solo, as well as a singer of a lot of tunes from St. Louis Blues to Big Butter and Egg Man and a lot in between. I played professionally in the tail-end of the Traditional Revival in San Francisco in the 1960s...
      >
      > Would like to jam now for the love of it and/or money. I am willing to invest in a guitar-banjo for playing if there are other musicians around. There are a number of bands working in western Connecticut, but they are about two hours by car east of me and that's too far to travel for gigs or jamming. An hour and a quarter would be about my limit, from Carmel, NY. ...Thanks for any leads.

    • Charles Zigmund
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
        Well, it was really the tail end of that era. I was an art college student
        and very poor. I played guitar with a number of informal get-together jam
        bands until one trumpet player borrowed a guitar-banjo for me and I played
        in clubs downtown with two bands. Unfortunately I don't remember any names!
        They were not well-known names such as you mention or I would have
        recognized them at the time, as I was listening to Turk Murphy, Lu Watters
        and others at home on the east coast as a teenager before I slightly later
        went out there to college.