Re: [RedHotJazz] Hi

  • Richard Lund
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2012
      Hi, Chas.
      I'm in a similar boat - also around the age of 14 I discovered that good
      ole Jazz, and I had trouble finding bands in my area as well (except for
      a teenager Dixie band, but that doesn't count!).

      My advice:
      Go on craigslist and open your local area - there's a musicians section!

      I had received a few responses when I tried the same for my area, but
      for other reasons nothing ever came of it.

      Otherwise you can look through the papers and look for local Jazz
      festivals and look at the band names - you can usually tell fairly
      quickly who is "hot" and who is modern (again happened to me).

      Good luck!

      On 1/26/2012 8:38 AM, chaszzzzz wrote:

      > I'm a new member, been listening to traditional jazz since I
      > discovered the Hot Fives in 1955 at age 14. I was a little out of
      > place as a teenager raving to his friends about 1920s-era Louis
      > Armstrong and Jelly Roll Morton in the age of be-bop, doo-wop and
      > later rock and roll, but we're all out of place in some way or other. No?
      >
      > As well as talking about early jazz and current happenings in this
      > group, I'd like to know if there are any bands or musicians into this
      > style in the northern suburbs of NY City. I live in Putnam County, NY,
      > near the northern border of Westchester County. I am a pretty good
      > traditional jazz acoustic guitarist, both rhythm and solo, as well as
      > a singer of a lot of tunes from St. Louis Blues to Big Butter and Egg
      > Man and a lot in between. I played professionally in the tail-end of
      > the Traditional Revival in San Francisco in the 1960s...
      >
      > Would like to jam now for the love of it and/or money. I am willing to
      > invest in a guitar-banjo for playing if there are other musicians
      > around. There are a number of bands working in western Connecticut,
      > but they are about two hours by car east of me and that's too far to
      > travel for gigs or jamming. An hour and a quarter would be about my
      > limit, from Carmel, NY. ...Thanks for any leads.

    • Charles Zigmund
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2012
        Thanks for the advice, Richard.

        On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Richard Lund <rlund@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi, Chas.
        > I'm in a similar boat - also around the age of 14 I discovered that good
        > ole Jazz, and I had trouble finding bands in my area as well (except for
        > a teenager Dixie band, but that doesn't count!).
        >
        > My advice:
        > Go on craigslist and open your local area - there's a musicians section!
        >
        > I had received a few responses when I tried the same for my area, but
        > for other reasons nothing ever came of it.
        >
        > Otherwise you can look through the papers and look for local Jazz
        > festivals and look at the band names - you can usually tell fairly
        > quickly who is "hot" and who is modern (again happened to me).
        >
        > Good luck!
        >

        > On 1/26/2012 8:38 AM, chaszzzzz wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm a new member, been listening to traditional jazz since I
        > > discovered the Hot Fives in 1955 at age 14. I was a little out of
        > > place as a teenager raving to his friends about 1920s-era Louis
        > > Armstrong and Jelly Roll Morton in the age of be-bop, doo-wop and
        > > later rock and roll, but we're all out of place in some way or other. No?
        > >
        > > As well as talking about early jazz and current happenings in this
        > > group, I'd like to know if there are any bands or musicians into this
        > > style in the northern suburbs of NY City. I live in Putnam County, NY,
        > > near the northern border of Westchester County. I am a pretty good
        > > traditional jazz acoustic guitarist, both rhythm and solo, as well as
        > > a singer of a lot of tunes from St. Louis Blues to Big Butter and Egg
        > > Man and a lot in between. I played professionally in the tail-end of
        > > the Traditional Revival in San Francisco in the 1960s...
        > >
        > > Would like to jam now for the love of it and/or money. I am willing to
        > > invest in a guitar-banjo for playing if there are other musicians
        > > around. There are a number of bands working in western Connecticut,
        > > but they are about two hours by car east of me and that's too far to
        > > travel for gigs or jamming. An hour and a quarter would be about my
        > > limit, from Carmel, NY. ...Thanks for any leads.

      • Andrew Taylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
          Hi Chas,

          As you're near NYC you might want to check out Vince Giordano and the
          Nighthawks <http://www.myspace.com/vincegiordanothenighthawks>. I bet
          they could hook you up with some traditional players in your area.
          Best, Andrew

          Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks Critics' Pick

          Club Caché at Sofia's,
          <http://newyork.timeout.com/%5Btimeout-url-channel%5D/%5Btimeout-url-section%5D/121184/club-cache-at-sofias>Today
          - Tue 8pm. Ending: Tue Jan 31 8pm221 W 46th St (between Broadway and
          Eighth Ave)
          (212) 719-5799
          Subway: A, C, E to 42nd St-Port AuthorityGet directions
          <http://newyork.timeout.com/hopstop?address2=221%20W%2046th%20St&city2=New%20York&county2=New%20York%2C%20NY&zip2=>
          $15 plus $15 minimum
          Singer and bassist Vince Giordano and his unbeatable vintage-swing
          orchestra continue their long-running residency.

          --
          Andrew Taylor, MLS
          Co-Curator, Visual Resources

        • stevenabrams78jazz
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
            I don't know anything about distances in New York but New York City is where all the traditional bands play...Monday night at Sofia's in the Hotel Edison is Vince Giordano & the Nighthawks night to play.
            Vince also does some of the background music on Boardwalk Empire on HBO.
            I live in San Francisco b ut I never ran across your name.
            I played drums with many of the local trad bands and was good friends with Lu Watters and Turk Murphy. It is sad that the jazz died here in SF. Who did you play with in the 60's ???
            Steven Abrams...Churchill Street Jazz Band

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
              Well, it was really the tail end of that era. I was an art college student
              and very poor. I played guitar with a number of informal get-together jam
              bands until one trumpet player borrowed a guitar-banjo for me and I played
              in clubs downtown with two bands. Unfortunately I don't remember any names!
              They were not well-known names such as you mention or I would have
              recognized them at the time, as I was listening to Turk Murphy, Lu Watters
              and others at home on the east coast as a teenager before I slightly later
              went out there to college.