Re: R: [RedHotJazz] Billie Holliday and " A Yiddish Mame "

  • kimpa1943
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2012
      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "levi.marco@..." <levi.marco@...> wrote:

      > Hello everybody,This recording with some interesting informations are available here:http://youtu.be/Dowy5Jdb-YgMarco Levi
      >

      > Hello. Two takes of A Yiddishe Momme (Pollack/Yellen) 0:39, 2:16, are on the Billie Holiday 10-cd box: Complete BH on Verve 1945-59. Rehearsal May 30, 1956 at William and Maely Duffy´s home in New York Cit. Tony Scott plays the piano /Kim

      > Hello everyone,
      >

      > A while ago I participated in this forum by proposing a recording of Yiddish Mama played by a swing band and I received a complete and satisfying analysis of this recording. I am here to present a recording of the same song, this time sung by Billie Holliday, I believe in 1956. I think a number of you already know this version, no doubt recorded between two "real" takes... I was wondering if you know anything about this version? Who is playing? Why are they amusing themselves with this particular song? At a certain moment, we hear the cooing of a baby, which for me makes the recording even more poignant.
      >

      > Thanks in advance.
      >

      > Alexandre Litwak
      >
      > Swing musician and archivist in the French center of jewish musics (www.cmfj.fr)

    • bsdfl
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2012
        Friends,

        I hope this isn't against the group rules but I thought members would want
        to know that the deadline for submitting entries to the CCC
        Traditional/Classic Jazz Award is Feb. 17, 2012.

        The award is presented to the best Canadian Traditional/Classic Jazz
        recording released in 2011 although the recording itself could have been
        done at any time in the past. There is some wiggle room for Canadian
        recordings with some foreign players but for more information please contact
        Gene Miller at jazcol@... .

        Best Regards,

        Ric Giorgi
        Conductor