R: [RedHotJazz] Billie Holliday and " A Yiddish Mame "

  • levi.marco@libero.it
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2012
      Hello everybody,This recording with some interesting informations are available here:http://youtu.be/Dowy5Jdb-YgMarco Levi

      Hello everyone,

      A while ago I participated in this forum by proposing a recording of Yiddish Mama played by a swing band and I received a complete and satisfying analysis of this recording. I am here to present a recording of the same song, this time sung by Billie Holliday, I believe in 1956. I think a number of you already know this version, no doubt recorded between two "real" takes... I was wondering if you know anything about this version? Who is playing? Why are they amusing themselves with this particular song? At a certain moment, we hear the cooing of a baby, which for me makes the recording even more poignant.

      Thanks in advance.

      Alexandre Litwak

      Swing musician and archivist in the French center of jewish musics (www.cmfj.fr)

    • kimpa1943
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2012
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "levi.marco@..." <levi.marco@...> wrote:

        > Hello everybody,This recording with some interesting informations are available here:http://youtu.be/Dowy5Jdb-YgMarco Levi
        >

        > Hello. Two takes of A Yiddishe Momme (Pollack/Yellen) 0:39, 2:16, are on the Billie Holiday 10-cd box: Complete BH on Verve 1945-59. Rehearsal May 30, 1956 at William and Maely Duffy´s home in New York Cit. Tony Scott plays the piano /Kim

        > Hello everyone,
        >

        > A while ago I participated in this forum by proposing a recording of Yiddish Mama played by a swing band and I received a complete and satisfying analysis of this recording. I am here to present a recording of the same song, this time sung by Billie Holliday, I believe in 1956. I think a number of you already know this version, no doubt recorded between two "real" takes... I was wondering if you know anything about this version? Who is playing? Why are they amusing themselves with this particular song? At a certain moment, we hear the cooing of a baby, which for me makes the recording even more poignant.
        >

        > Thanks in advance.
        >

        > Alexandre Litwak
        >
        > Swing musician and archivist in the French center of jewish musics (www.cmfj.fr)

      • bsdfl
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2012
          Friends,

          I hope this isn't against the group rules but I thought members would want
          to know that the deadline for submitting entries to the CCC
          Traditional/Classic Jazz Award is Feb. 17, 2012.

          The award is presented to the best Canadian Traditional/Classic Jazz
          recording released in 2011 although the recording itself could have been
          done at any time in the past. There is some wiggle room for Canadian
          recordings with some foreign players but for more information please contact
          Gene Miller at jazcol@... .

          Best Regards,

          Ric Giorgi
          Conductor