Re: "Toots" Mendello and his Five Gee Gees

  • Albert
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
      Mondello is a more common name than Mendello. Toots, the trumpet player, born in New Jersey, was certainly Mendello, not Mondello. You can see his name spelled Mendello on the record labels that I posted. Here is a link to one of them.

      http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/ahaim/mendelloeasy.jpg

      Of course, there was a Toots Mondello, a clarinet/alto sax player who was with Benny Goodman for a while in 1930-1940. This Toots Mondello was born in about 1910 in Boston, and could be the cousin of the Vinnie you mentioned who, I believe, also was from Boston.

      Albert

      --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mike Amato <vintagetenor@...> wrote:

      > Hi Albert,
      >
      > Maybe Gina is a Mendello, but Toots was a Mondello, like his cousin Vinnie at Banjohaven.
      >
      > Mike Amato
      > Bedford Banjo Shop
      > 106 S. Richard Street
      > Bedford, PA 15522
      > (814) 623-2187
      > www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

    • Mike Amato
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2011
        Thanks for the correction, Albert.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2011
          Only to make sure that something has been successfully fixed, for one former
          member's convenience.
          P.
        • stevenabrams78jazz
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
            I wonder if we could get more information from Gina.
            Perhaps someone in the family can remember Toots real first name.
            Also what town was he born in and what town did he live in as an
            adult.