Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: "Toots" Mendello and his Five Gee Gees

  • Mike Amato
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011

      Hi Albert,

      Maybe Gina is a Mendello, but Toots was a Mondello, like his cousin Vinnie at Banjohaven.

      Mike Amato
      Bedford Banjo Shop
      106 S. Richard Street
      Bedford, PA 15522
      (814) 623-2187
      www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
        Mondello is a more common name than Mendello. Toots, the trumpet player, born in New Jersey, was certainly Mendello, not Mondello. You can see his name spelled Mendello on the record labels that I posted. Here is a link to one of them.

        http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/ahaim/mendelloeasy.jpg

        Of course, there was a Toots Mondello, a clarinet/alto sax player who was with Benny Goodman for a while in 1930-1940. This Toots Mondello was born in about 1910 in Boston, and could be the cousin of the Vinnie you mentioned who, I believe, also was from Boston.

        Albert

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mike Amato <vintagetenor@...> wrote:

        > Hi Albert,
        >
        > Maybe Gina is a Mendello, but Toots was a Mondello, like his cousin Vinnie at Banjohaven.
        >
        > Mike Amato
        > Bedford Banjo Shop
        > 106 S. Richard Street
        > Bedford, PA 15522
        > (814) 623-2187
        > www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

      • Mike Amato
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2011
          Thanks for the correction, Albert.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2011
            Only to make sure that something has been successfully fixed, for one former
            member's convenience.
            P.
          • stevenabrams78jazz
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
              I wonder if we could get more information from Gina.
              Perhaps someone in the family can remember Toots real first name.
              Also what town was he born in and what town did he live in as an
              adult.