Re: "Toots" Mendello and his Five Gee Gees

  • Albert
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
      Thanks to Gina Mendello, Toots Mendello's grandaughter, I was able to provide some biographical information and a photo of Toots Mendello in the Bixography Forum. If interested, read this posting and the thread that follows it.

      http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1320695660

      Albert Haim
      http://bixbeiderbecke.com
    • Mike Amato
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011

        Hi Albert,

        Maybe Gina is a Mendello, but Toots was a Mondello, like his cousin Vinnie at Banjohaven.

        Mike Amato
        Bedford Banjo Shop
        106 S. Richard Street
        Bedford, PA 15522
        (814) 623-2187
        www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
          Mondello is a more common name than Mendello. Toots, the trumpet player, born in New Jersey, was certainly Mendello, not Mondello. You can see his name spelled Mendello on the record labels that I posted. Here is a link to one of them.

          http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/ahaim/mendelloeasy.jpg

          Of course, there was a Toots Mondello, a clarinet/alto sax player who was with Benny Goodman for a while in 1930-1940. This Toots Mondello was born in about 1910 in Boston, and could be the cousin of the Vinnie you mentioned who, I believe, also was from Boston.

          Albert

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mike Amato <vintagetenor@...> wrote:

          > Hi Albert,
          >
          > Maybe Gina is a Mendello, but Toots was a Mondello, like his cousin Vinnie at Banjohaven.
          >
          > Mike Amato
          > Bedford Banjo Shop
          > 106 S. Richard Street
          > Bedford, PA 15522
          > (814) 623-2187
          > www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

        • Mike Amato
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2011
            Thanks for the correction, Albert.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2011
              Only to make sure that something has been successfully fixed, for one former
              member's convenience.
              P.
            • stevenabrams78jazz
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
                I wonder if we could get more information from Gina.
                Perhaps someone in the family can remember Toots real first name.
                Also what town was he born in and what town did he live in as an
                adult.