Re: Frank "Josh" Billings

  • gerry.paton
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2011
      "Another clue is the fact that in the Metronome article the photo of Bix and Trumbauer was reproduced courtesy of Frank Trumbauer."

      There's no mention of this in the Metronome article Nick (I own a copy). Perhaps in one of the other publications that you mentioned? Until I've checked those references (will do so in the New Year) I'll leave the photo in.

      I have rewritten that section, however, so that it's only a possibility that the photo is of Josh (and not a certainty). Will change things again if necessary (once I've checked the other publications - thanks again!)
    • Nick Dellow
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
        Sorry Gerry, I didn't give enough related information with respect to the
        Metronome photo and the fact that it was originally reproduced in the
        magazine courtesy of Frank Trumbauer.

        There are actually two editions of Metronome that include this photo
        - November 1938 and July 1940. On page 19 of the November 1938 edition,
        there is an article entitled "Bix" by Frank Trumbauer. There are two photos
        on that page. One is of Bix and Tram, which is the same as that given in
        the July 1940 Metronome, reproduced in your article. The caption reads "Bix
        and Trumbauer" (no credit specified). The other photo on the page is the
        one of Friedman, Bix and Whiteman on the same train platform (as also
        referred to in my previous message). The caption reads "Izzy Friedman
        (clarinetist), Bix and Whiteman. (Pictures this page courtesy Frank
        Trumbauer.)" As the caption specifies that both photos are "courtesy Frank
        Trumbauer" we can safely assume that the original source of the Metronome
        photo, as reproduced in your article, is Frank Trumbauer.

        Nick

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
          Many thanks for the clarification Nick. It looks like I should pull the photo as it's only going to muddy the waters. I'll rewrite that section when I have a moment. I already have a known photo of Josh in the article, plus the info re Bix still holds up, so not a huge loss.

          Thanks again.

          Gerry