Brotherly Love

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2011
      Brotherly Love - 9/17/26 - Elgar's Creole Orchestra -

      I'm wondering about the title - given all the collective improvisation and, especially the duets and, especially the trumpet duet which seems a tribute to KOCJB's Mabel's Dream.

      Lawson Buford may be the greatest tubaist of the 1920s - pace, Joe Tarto & Bill Bell.

      Poss pers Emmanuel Perez, Joe Sudler (cnt) Harry Swift (tb) Darnell Howard (cl,as) prob Omer Simeon (cl,as) Jimmy Dudley (cl,ts) Charles Elgar (vln,ldr) Logan Thomas (p) Bill Shelby (bj) Lawson Buford (tu) Ben Thigpen (d)
      Chicago, September 17, 1926
      E-3835,
      E-20244 Brotherly love (*) Voc 15478, Br 3404, A356
      E-3836,
      E-20245 Nightmare - - , BYG (F)529075
      E-3837,
      E-20246 Nightmare (*) -
      E-3838,
      E-20247 When Jennie does that lowdown dance ( vcl) 15477, A229
      E-3840,
      E-20249 Cafe capers - -
      E-3841,
      E-20250 Cafe capers -
      Note: (*) Also on Hist HLP16. Entire session also on Arcadia 2011.
    • stevenabrams78jazz
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2011
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Homzy <andrew.homzy@...> wrote:
        > Lawson Buford may be the greatest tubaist of the 1920s - pace, Joe Tarto & Bill Bell.

        You should listen to other great tube soloists:
        From Dallas...Octave Gaspard

        Unknown tuba from Butte Montana in Ernest Loomis Orch

        Steven Abrams
        SWan Francisco