Anybody knows the name of the tune?

  • Mordechai Litzman
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2011
      Came across this great piano recording by a young lady protege - Stephanie
      Trick. Perhaps somebody has the name of the tune - possibly a Waller
      piece?

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m62dyaTCmM&feature=related

    • Markus Leuthel
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2011
        Hello Mordechai,

        another terrific performance by Stephanie Trick! ;-)
        The piece is called "Nothin'" and is one of the earliest (known!) cutting contest pieces of the transitional period between Ragtime and Jazz, written in 1908 and usually performed by Luckey Roberts himself.

        http://www.trachtman.org/ragtime/tomroberts.htm

        Best Regards,
        Markus Leuthel

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 14, 2011
          Thanks for the info! Stephanie is just getting better and better!

          ________________________________
          another terrific performance by Stephanie Trick! ;-)
          The piece is called "Nothin'" and is one of the earliest (known!) cutting contest pieces of the transitional period between Ragtime and Jazz, written in 1908 and usually performed by Luckey Roberts himself.

          http://www.trachtman.org/ragtime/tomroberts.htm

          Best Regards,
          Markus Leuthel

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mordechai Litzman <folke613@...> wrote:

          > Came across this great piano recording by a young lady protege - Stephanie
          > Trick. Perhaps somebody has the name of the tune - possibly a Waller
          > piece?
          >

          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m62dyaTCmM&feature=related

        • Andrew Homzy
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 14, 2011
            Brotherly Love - 9/17/26 - Elgar's Creole Orchestra -

            I'm wondering about the title - given all the collective improvisation and, especially the duets and, especially the trumpet duet which seems a tribute to KOCJB's Mabel's Dream.

            Lawson Buford may be the greatest tubaist of the 1920s - pace, Joe Tarto & Bill Bell.

            Poss pers Emmanuel Perez, Joe Sudler (cnt) Harry Swift (tb) Darnell Howard (cl,as) prob Omer Simeon (cl,as) Jimmy Dudley (cl,ts) Charles Elgar (vln,ldr) Logan Thomas (p) Bill Shelby (bj) Lawson Buford (tu) Ben Thigpen (d)
            Chicago, September 17, 1926
            E-3835,
            E-20244 Brotherly love (*) Voc 15478, Br 3404, A356
            E-3836,
            E-20245 Nightmare - - , BYG (F)529075
            E-3837,
            E-20246 Nightmare (*) -
            E-3838,
            E-20247 When Jennie does that lowdown dance ( vcl) 15477, A229
            E-3840,
            E-20249 Cafe capers - -
            E-3841,
            E-20250 Cafe capers -
            Note: (*) Also on Hist HLP16. Entire session also on Arcadia 2011.
          • stevenabrams78jazz
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 15, 2011
              --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Homzy <andrew.homzy@...> wrote:
              > Lawson Buford may be the greatest tubaist of the 1920s - pace, Joe Tarto & Bill Bell.

              You should listen to other great tube soloists:
              From Dallas...Octave Gaspard

              Unknown tuba from Butte Montana in Ernest Loomis Orch

              Steven Abrams
              SWan Francisco