"Toots" Mendello and his Five Gee Gees

  • Gina
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2011
      My grandfather was James "Toots" Mendello, the cornet player (not the sax player) who was in Ben Bernie's orchestra for many years and then formed his own band, The Five Gee Gees aka the Mendello Dance Orchestra. Glenn Miller and Fud Livingston were in his band. There is a grand total of 9 recordings made on the Banner label (now Arc-Plaza) and 6 of them were recently featured on the Fud Livingston compilation released in 2009. On track has been featured on the Best of Glenn Miller compilation that has been available for years.

      I am investigating this group and wanted to see if I couldn't find who the other members of the group, the Five Gee Gees, and any other information that anyone might know. My grandfather died in 1931 at the age of 27 from viral meningitis and my father was 3 at the time so there wasn't much information passed down.

      Regards,

      Gina Mendello
    • gerry.paton
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 8, 2011
        [ADMIN: apologies for the delay again, Yahoo never warned me of this unexpectedly pending message - Patrice]

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "Gina" <showbizmanager@...> wrote:

        > My grandfather was James "Toots" Mendello, the cornet player (not the sax player) who was in Ben Bernie's orchestra for many years and then formed his own band, The Five Gee Gees aka the Mendello Dance Orchestra. Glenn Miller and Fud Livingston were in his band. There is a grand total of 9 recordings made on the Banner label (now Arc-Plaza) and 6 of them were recently featured on the Fud Livingston compilation released in 2009. On track has been featured on the Best of Glenn Miller compilation that has been available for years.
        >
        > I am investigating this group and wanted to see if I couldn't find who the other members of the group, the Five Gee Gees, and any other information that anyone might know. My grandfather died in 1931 at the age of 27 from viral meningitis and my father was 3 at the time so there wasn't much information passed down.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Gina Mendello

        I don't own this book, but I managed to obtain the following info from an advanced google book search:

        Swing, 1920-1985
        Walter Bruyninckx
        1985

        MENDELLO AND HIS FIVE GEE-GEES
        Toots Mendello ( cnt ) Glenn Miller ( tb ) Fud Livingston ( cl ) Arthur Schutt (p) Carl Kress (g) Vic Berton (d) Dick Holmes (= Jack Kaufman) (vcl)

        New York, July 3, 1928

        8071 Dancing eyes (unissued)
        8072 A mad mean mama -
        8073 You can have him if you want him -

        New York, August 15, 1928

        That's all I'm afraid. Maybe try to track down this book via amazon? There are tricks you can do to get more info from these on-line scans. Very time consuming though. If you don't get better replies and can't trace the book, let me know and I'll see if I can chisel more info using advanced search tricks.
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 10, 2011
          Here is the whole entry as it appears in 93 Years of Recorded Jazz. I assume
          the entry is just copied from Rust apart from the reissue details but have
          not checked it for accuracy. The band is not in earlier discographies than
          Rust¹s Jazz Records so far as I can discover, so I have no immediate
          theories about the source of the personnel but there are several names here
          who have been pretty thoroughly researched. I am sure the personnel does not
          come from file data since ³surviving² ARC file cards from this era seemed
          pretty clearly to have recreated from collector sources at a later date.

          New York, July 3, 1928

          8071 Dancing eyes (unissued) ARC

          8O72 A mad mean mama -

          8073 You can have him if you want him -

          New York, August 15, 1928

          8148-1 Cool papa (you'd better warm up)(jk vcl) Or 1371, Ban 6206, Must
          M-8004

          8149-1 Sunday afternoon (jk vcl)(*) 1387, 7248, -

          8150-1 High-hattin' Hattie (jk vcl) 1363, 6213, -

          Note : (*) This title on Avid AMBX139 (4 CD set) entitled "The Glenn Miller
          Story", rest by other

          Artists and Glenn Miller Orchestra.

          New York, October 16, 1928

          8260-1 Easy (jk vcl) Ban 7246, Or 1368, Para 20754

          8260-2 Easy (jk vcl) Broadway 1213

          8261-1 Dixie drag (Blue bottom) Crown 81020, Ban 6214

          8261-2 Dixie drag (Blue bottom) Jewel 5446, Apex 8877, Or 1396,
          Harrison LP-M

          8262-1 Baby's coming back (jk vcl) Ban 6205, Or 1360, Chal 919, Jewel
          5405, Dom 31010, Apex 8863, Micro 23368

          8262-2 Baby's coming back (jk vcl) Must M-8004

          Note : Entire session on Must M-8004. Must M-8004 gives mx. 8261-1 and
          Harrison LP-M gives mx. 8261-2

          but from aural evidence they seem to be the same. All Banner's as
          "Mendello's Dance Orchestra".

          Challenge 919, Jewel 5405 & 5406 + all Oriole's as "Dixie Jazz Band".
          Broadway 1213 & Paramount

          20754 as "Marks and his Five Oh My's". Crown 81020 as "Pierrot
          Syncopators". Microphone 22368 as

          "Jenkins' Black Aces".

          on 08/11/2011 10:57, gerry.paton at gerry.paton@... wrote:

          > [ADMIN: apologies for the delay again, Yahoo never warned me of this
          > unexpectedly pending message - Patrice]
          >
          > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com> ,
          > "Gina" <showbizmanager@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > My grandfather was James "Toots" Mendello, the cornet player (not the sax
          >> player) who was in Ben Bernie's orchestra for many years and then formed his
          >> own band, The Five Gee Gees aka the Mendello Dance Orchestra. Glenn Miller
          >> and Fud Livingston were in his band. There is a grand total of 9 recordings
          >> made on the Banner label (now Arc-Plaza) and 6 of them were recently featured
          >> on the Fud Livingston compilation released in 2009. On track has been
          >> featured on the Best of Glenn Miller compilation that has been available for
          >> years.
          >> >
          >> > I am investigating this group and wanted to see if I couldn't find who the
          >> other members of the group, the Five Gee Gees, and any other information that
          >> anyone might know. My grandfather died in 1931 at the age of 27 from viral
          >> meningitis and my father was 3 at the time so there wasn't much information
          >> passed down.
          >> >
          >> > Regards,
          >> >
          >> > Gina Mendello
          >> >
          > I don't own this book, but I managed to obtain the following info from an
          > advanced google book search:
          >
          > Swing, 1920-1985
          > Walter Bruyninckx
          > 1985
          >
          > MENDELLO AND HIS FIVE GEE-GEES
          > Toots Mendello ( cnt ) Glenn Miller ( tb ) Fud Livingston ( cl ) Arthur Schutt
          > (p) Carl Kress (g) Vic Berton (d) Dick Holmes (= Jack Kaufman) (vcl)
          >
          > New York, July 3, 1928
          >
          > 8071 Dancing eyes (unissued)
          > 8072 A mad mean mama -
          > 8073 You can have him if you want him -
          >
          > New York, August 15, 1928
          >
          > That's all I'm afraid. Maybe try to track down this book via amazon? There
          > are tricks you can do to get more info from these on-line scans. Very time
          > consuming though. If you don't get better replies and can't trace the book,
          > let me know and I'll see if I can chisel more info using advanced search
          > tricks.

        • Albert
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
            Thanks to Gina Mendello, Toots Mendello's grandaughter, I was able to provide some biographical information and a photo of Toots Mendello in the Bixography Forum. If interested, read this posting and the thread that follows it.

            http://www.network54.com/Forum/27140/message/1320695660

            Albert Haim
            http://bixbeiderbecke.com
          • Mike Amato
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011

              Hi Albert,

              Maybe Gina is a Mendello, but Toots was a Mondello, like his cousin Vinnie at Banjohaven.

              Mike Amato
              Bedford Banjo Shop
              106 S. Richard Street
              Bedford, PA 15522
              (814) 623-2187
              www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 2, 2011
                Mondello is a more common name than Mendello. Toots, the trumpet player, born in New Jersey, was certainly Mendello, not Mondello. You can see his name spelled Mendello on the record labels that I posted. Here is a link to one of them.

                http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/ahaim/mendelloeasy.jpg

                Of course, there was a Toots Mondello, a clarinet/alto sax player who was with Benny Goodman for a while in 1930-1940. This Toots Mondello was born in about 1910 in Boston, and could be the cousin of the Vinnie you mentioned who, I believe, also was from Boston.

                Albert

                --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Mike Amato <vintagetenor@...> wrote:

                > Hi Albert,
                >
                > Maybe Gina is a Mendello, but Toots was a Mondello, like his cousin Vinnie at Banjohaven.
                >
                > Mike Amato
                > Bedford Banjo Shop
                > 106 S. Richard Street
                > Bedford, PA 15522
                > (814) 623-2187
                > www.bedfordbanjoshop.com

              • Mike Amato
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 3, 2011
                  Thanks for the correction, Albert.

                  Mike

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 6, 2011
                    Only to make sure that something has been successfully fixed, for one former
                    member's convenience.
                    P.
                  • stevenabrams78jazz
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 8, 2011
                      I wonder if we could get more information from Gina.
                      Perhaps someone in the family can remember Toots real first name.
                      Also what town was he born in and what town did he live in as an
                      adult.