Re: [RedHotJazz] Library of Congress Jukebox

  • jparker777@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2011
      Concerning the copyrights.... on one of the All Star Trio songs the site states under "rights & access" tab the following:

      "This recording is protected by state copyright laws in the United
      States. The Library of Congress has obtained a license from rights
      holders to offer it as streamed audio only. Downloading is not
      permitted."

      So they must have obtained rights to stream it, but not offer it for download.
      Hope that helps.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2011
        Received opinion is that once a song falls into Public Domain, it does not get out.

        What seems to be the situation here is that US national copyright has ceased, but someone has claimed that state copyright (essentially a common-law concept) may continue, and that the limited licence has been granted to ensure that there is no state copyright infringement for streamed audio, but the possibility still exists for suing for (state) copyright infringement in the case of downloading.

        Bob

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2011
          > What seems to be the situation here is that US national copyright has
          > ceased, but
          > someone has claimed that state copyright (essentially a common-law
          > concept) may
          > continue, and that the limited licence has been granted to ensure that
          > there is no state
          > copyright infringement for streamed audio, but the possibility still
          > exists for suing for
          > (state) copyright infringement in the case of downloading.

          When the grey zone gets thicker, does it make it lighter or darker? ;)

          P.