Library of Congress Jukebox

  • gerry.paton
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2011
      Apologies if this has been posted before, but this is an incredible resource (thousands of vintage recordings accessible on line):

      http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/

      Try the search function.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2011
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2011
          Concerning the copyrights.... on one of the All Star Trio songs the site states under "rights & access" tab the following:

          "This recording is protected by state copyright laws in the United
          States. The Library of Congress has obtained a license from rights
          holders to offer it as streamed audio only. Downloading is not
          permitted."

          So they must have obtained rights to stream it, but not offer it for download.
          Hope that helps.

          > Apologies if this has been posted before, but this is an incredible
          > resource (thousands of vintage recordings accessible on line):

          > http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/

          > Try the search function.

          Yes, I briefly mentioned it, but I completely forgot to send the address.
          What I wonder is if their arrangement with Sony also means a late and
          unexpected copyright on previously "public domain" material (the All Star
          Trio being the first example I have in mind).

        • Bob Eagle
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2011
            Received opinion is that once a song falls into Public Domain, it does not get out.

            What seems to be the situation here is that US national copyright has ceased, but someone has claimed that state copyright (essentially a common-law concept) may continue, and that the limited licence has been granted to ensure that there is no state copyright infringement for streamed audio, but the possibility still exists for suing for (state) copyright infringement in the case of downloading.

            Bob

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2011
              > What seems to be the situation here is that US national copyright has
              > ceased, but
              > someone has claimed that state copyright (essentially a common-law
              > concept) may
              > continue, and that the limited licence has been granted to ensure that
              > there is no state
              > copyright infringement for streamed audio, but the possibility still
              > exists for suing for
              > (state) copyright infringement in the case of downloading.

              When the grey zone gets thicker, does it make it lighter or darker? ;)

              P.