Re: [RedHotJazz] Accessibility on the Red Hot Jazz Archive

  • lastofthebarons
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
      I get the notice:-

      404 - File or directory not found.
      The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

      for anything which might be of interest.

      I gave up on the site a long time ago and find most of what I want on Spotify.

      Cheers,

      Marc

      On 29 Oct 2011, at 17:46, J. E. Knox wrote:

      > Greetings from FixitLand!
      >
      > Bob Smith wrote:
      >
      > > Some folks on another forum who are running Macs are having trouble
      > > accessing individual recordings on the RHJ Archive site.
      > >
      > > I should be interested in hearing from anybody with a Mac on this
      > > forum who can access individual recordings,
      > >
      > > All the Jelly Roll Morton recordings under his Solo Discography
      > > that are printed in yellow are available on a PC, so I should be
      > > very interested to hear from any Mac owner who can access these
      > > recordings.
      >
      > For some time now, I have been unable to access any track on RHJ. The
      > files are RealPlayer ".ra" files, which properly launch Real Player
      > when double-clicked, but RP then reports "A general error has
      > occurred." and it's game-over. I don't know whether this is a fault
      > of Real Player or the site. Trying to download, for example, the
      > following link --
      >
      > <http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/Oliver/Creole/canal.ra>
      >
      > -- returns a file "canal.ra.ram" (Real Audio Metafile). Does not open
      > in Real Player (same error).
      >
      > I tried updating Real Player -- apparently "Version 14" is most
      > current. But I cannot! The version that runs on my Mac (OS X 10.4.11
      > "Tiger," on a PowerBook G4) is version 12, and the update attempt
      > just reinstalled the same version. The upgrade site talks about
      > Windows and peecees, so it appears the Mac version of RP has not
      > (will not?) be updated!
      >
      > Not that I'm enthused at all about the use of the Real Audio
      > format...MP3s would be better and much more ubiquitous.
      >
      > For that matter, the files (when they *were* accessible) varied
      > widely in quality (mostly bad). I supplied some tracks (Jack Crawford
      > Orchestra) to Scott Alexander, who promptly re-processed them,
      > apparently through some kind of audio meat-grinder software.
      > Absolutely horrible.
      >
      > Take care,
      >
      > Joe
      > --
      > "Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world -- the clock and
      > the cat."--Emile Auguste Chartier

    • J. E. Knox
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
        Greetings from FixitLand!

        Patrice Champarou wrote:

        > This seems to be indeed a problem related to Macs, or Mac software
        > (either
        > Realplayer or the browser you are using), or your individual
        > settings, worth
        > discussing on a Mac forum.
        > The link you have just mentioned works perfectly on my Windows
        > system, from
        > both I.E. and Firefox, and even from my mailer.

        Curious, and even more indication that Real is no longer supporting
        Macs. The Real Player software I have installed here *used* to work
        just fine, until a year or so ago. Nothing else has changed here. The
        browser is irrelevant -- I use Safari primarily, Firefox secondarily;
        in either case, the Real Player application is opened by the browser
        for playing .ra/.ram files.

        > ...I have no idea how a request for .../canal.ra can possibly turn
        > into
        > .../canal.ra.ram !

        Neither do I...quite a mystery.

        > The reverse - I mean from the .ram metafile to the actual .ra
        > soundfile -
        > would be a bit more logical, but definitely not .ram popping up in the
        > address after you've directly called the .ra file!
        > If the problem is exactly as described, it might mean that Mac
        > versions of
        > the player absolutely request a .ram file to work... just a guess.

        Not the case. I have older .ra files I've saved, which open and play
        in RP just fine.

        > Please
        > note that directly requesting the .ra file is no longer
        > "streaming", but

        Correct. I tend to avoid streaming audio and try to download the
        actual media file itself. I can listen to streams here at work (sort-
        of) but at home I have only dial-up Internet access, and any kind of
        streaming or large downloads is out of the question.

        > P.S. The poor sound quality does not depend on the .ra or .mp3
        > alternative
        > (both have dramatically improved in twelve years' time) but on the
        > compression rate.
        > 64bit mp3's would have sounded just as terrible at the time, and
        > the idea
        > was to enable nearly instant access when almost everyone was on a slow
        > connection.

        Correct, and both the encoding and decoding software have bearing on
        the sound quality as well. For instance, the MP3 encoder used in
        Apple's iTunes application is total garbage compared to the open-
        source LAME encoder, at identical bit rates. I *have* heard
        reasonable quality RA files. My point was that the quality as posted
        by the RHJ owner (Scott) from the CD I sent him (uncompressed audio)
        was markedly deteriorated. If you're saying those *particular* files
        sounded good to you on your peecee, it's possible your decoder
        software is doing a better job than the Real Player version I have
        (and, apparently, *cannot* upgrade).

        Take care,

        Joe
        --
        "Work--other people's work--is an intolerable idea to a cat. Can you
        picture cats herding sheep or agreeing to pull a cart? They will not
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
          Hi Folks,
                         I have had this message come up for a few requests but by and large I have been able to access most of what I want on RHJ.
          TTFN - 007

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011