Accessibility on the Red Hot Jazz Archive

  • Bob Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
      Some folks on another forum who are running Macs are having trouble accessing individual recordings on the RHJ Archive site.

      I should be interested in hearing from anybody with a Mac on this forum who can access individual recordings,

      All the Jelly Roll Morton recordings under his Solo Discography that are printed in yellow are available on a PC, so I should be very interested to hear from any Mac owner who can access these recordings.

      Thanks in advance

      Regards

      Bob Smith

    • J. E. Knox
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
        Greetings from FixitLand!

        Bob Smith wrote:

        > Some folks on another forum who are running Macs are having trouble
        > accessing individual recordings on the RHJ Archive site.
        >
        > I should be interested in hearing from anybody with a Mac on this
        > forum who can access individual recordings,
        >
        > All the Jelly Roll Morton recordings under his Solo Discography
        > that are printed in yellow are available on a PC, so I should be
        > very interested to hear from any Mac owner who can access these
        > recordings.

        For some time now, I have been unable to access any track on RHJ. The
        files are RealPlayer ".ra" files, which properly launch Real Player
        when double-clicked, but RP then reports "A general error has
        occurred." and it's game-over. I don't know whether this is a fault
        of Real Player or the site. Trying to download, for example, the
        following link --

        <http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/Oliver/Creole/canal.ra>

        -- returns a file "canal.ra.ram" (Real Audio Metafile). Does not open
        in Real Player (same error).

        I tried updating Real Player -- apparently "Version 14" is most
        current. But I cannot! The version that runs on my Mac (OS X 10.4.11
        "Tiger," on a PowerBook G4) is version 12, and the update attempt
        just reinstalled the same version. The upgrade site talks about
        Windows and peecees, so it appears the Mac version of RP has not
        (will not?) be updated!

        Not that I'm enthused at all about the use of the Real Audio
        format...MP3s would be better and much more ubiquitous.

        For that matter, the files (when they *were* accessible) varied
        widely in quality (mostly bad). I supplied some tracks (Jack Crawford
        Orchestra) to Scott Alexander, who promptly re-processed them,
        apparently through some kind of audio meat-grinder software.
        Absolutely horrible.

        Take care,

        Joe
        --
        "Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world -- the clock and
        the cat."--Emile Auguste Chartier
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
            Anytime I try the RHJA I get a screen that says Server Error: 404 file not found. I have given up on getting any files from the RHJA, and have to go to YouTube for whatever I can find....

            ________________________________
            > For some time now, I have been unable to access any track on RHJ. The
            > files are RealPlayer ".ra" files, which properly launch Real Player
            > when double-clicked, but RP then reports "A general error has
            > occurred." and it's game-over. I don't know whether this is a fault
            > of Real Player or the site. Trying to download, for example, the
            > following link --
            > <http://www.redhotjazz.com/Songs/Oliver/Creole/canal.ra>
            > -- returns a file "canal.ra.ram" (Real Audio Metafile). Does not open
            > in Real Player (same error).

            This seems to be indeed a problem related to Macs, or Mac software (either
            Realplayer or the browser you are using), or your individual settings, worth
            discussing on a Mac forum.
            The link you have just mentioned works perfectly on my Windows system, from
            both I.E. and Firefox, and even from my mailer.

            If we except the short periods of time when the server happened to be
            completely down, not accessing *any* sound file cannot be related to the
            website's current problem.
            Bob and I have started investigating valid and faulty links two different
            ways, the matching results indicate that the percentage of lost sounds is
            impressive indeed, but the valid ones are valid on a regular basis, they do
            not come and go, and whatever Bob found valid is also, and exacly so far,
            what I managed to save in my local copy of Scott's website.

            I have no idea how a request for .../canal.ra can possibly turn into
            .../canal.ra.ram !
            The reverse - I mean from the .ram metafile to the actual .ra soundfile -
            would be a bit more logical, but definitely not .ram popping up in the
            address after you've directly called the .ra file!
            If the problem is exactly as described, it might mean that Mac versions of
            the player absolutely request a .ram file to work... just a guess. Please
            note that directly requesting the .ra file is no longer "streaming", but

            P.S. The poor sound quality does not depend on the .ra or .mp3 alternative
            (both have dramatically improved in twelve years' time) but on the
            compression rate.
            64bit mp3's would have sounded just as terrible at the time, and the idea
            was to enable nearly instant access when almost everyone was on a slow
            connection.
            With the advantage that realaudio allows one to keep listening after leaving
            the page, and prevents from inadventantly playing several tunes at the same
            time.

          • lastofthebarons
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
              I get the notice:-

              404 - File or directory not found.
              The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

              for anything which might be of interest.

              I gave up on the site a long time ago and find most of what I want on Spotify.

              Cheers,

              Marc

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
                Greetings from FixitLand!

                Patrice Champarou wrote:

                > This seems to be indeed a problem related to Macs, or Mac software
                > (either
                > Realplayer or the browser you are using), or your individual
                > settings, worth
                > discussing on a Mac forum.
                > The link you have just mentioned works perfectly on my Windows
                > system, from
                > both I.E. and Firefox, and even from my mailer.

                Curious, and even more indication that Real is no longer supporting
                Macs. The Real Player software I have installed here *used* to work
                just fine, until a year or so ago. Nothing else has changed here. The
                browser is irrelevant -- I use Safari primarily, Firefox secondarily;
                in either case, the Real Player application is opened by the browser
                for playing .ra/.ram files.

                > ...I have no idea how a request for .../canal.ra can possibly turn
                > into
                > .../canal.ra.ram !

                Neither do I...quite a mystery.

                > The reverse - I mean from the .ram metafile to the actual .ra
                > soundfile -
                > would be a bit more logical, but definitely not .ram popping up in the
                > address after you've directly called the .ra file!
                > If the problem is exactly as described, it might mean that Mac
                > versions of
                > the player absolutely request a .ram file to work... just a guess.

                Not the case. I have older .ra files I've saved, which open and play
                in RP just fine.

                > Please
                > note that directly requesting the .ra file is no longer
                > "streaming", but

                Correct. I tend to avoid streaming audio and try to download the
                actual media file itself. I can listen to streams here at work (sort-
                of) but at home I have only dial-up Internet access, and any kind of
                streaming or large downloads is out of the question.

                > P.S. The poor sound quality does not depend on the .ra or .mp3
                > alternative
                > (both have dramatically improved in twelve years' time) but on the
                > compression rate.
                > 64bit mp3's would have sounded just as terrible at the time, and
                > the idea
                > was to enable nearly instant access when almost everyone was on a slow
                > connection.

                Correct, and both the encoding and decoding software have bearing on
                the sound quality as well. For instance, the MP3 encoder used in
                Apple's iTunes application is total garbage compared to the open-
                source LAME encoder, at identical bit rates. I *have* heard
                reasonable quality RA files. My point was that the quality as posted
                by the RHJ owner (Scott) from the CD I sent him (uncompressed audio)
                was markedly deteriorated. If you're saying those *particular* files
                sounded good to you on your peecee, it's possible your decoder
                software is doing a better job than the Real Player version I have
                (and, apparently, *cannot* upgrade).

                Take care,

                Joe
                --
                "Work--other people's work--is an intolerable idea to a cat. Can you
                picture cats herding sheep or agreeing to pull a cart? They will not
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 29, 2011
                  Hi Folks,
                                 I have had this message come up for a few requests but by and large I have been able to access most of what I want on RHJ.
                  TTFN - 007

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 30, 2011