Re: Woody Allen

  • PETER GERLER
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2011
      Well, it's interesting, Andrew. The thing to do is watch "Wild Man Blues" (the movie) and judge for yourself. My own judgment: Woody's not a Bechet, Noone, or Russell, but he's a damn good player in that he sticks responsibly within the tradition. There's a line of thought--stated by Thomas Brothers among others--that if the early players had had too many chops, were articulate in all keys, scales, variations & alterations, that the polyphony would not have emerged as neatly defined as it did. The Wild Man Blues performances come together, with Woody doing what he's supposed to--as I hope was true when you saw him!

      All best,

      Peter Gerler
      Newton, MA
    • CJ Tobias
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2011
        Woody Allen and His Jazz Band will be performing at Royce Hall at UCLA next
        month. I would go, but, unfortunately, cannot afford the tickets. They are
        expensive. If you are from southern California then hopefully you can.

        http://halltickets.org/ResultsTicket.aspx?evtid=1756031&event=Woody+Allen+an
        d+His+New+Orleans+Jazz+Band&ppcsrc=8164926747&nid=1&eid=PL2&egid=B