Bix and Billings

  • gerry.paton
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2011
      I managed to wheedle the following info using an advance google book search (from a 1940 edition of "Jazz Information"):

      'On page 21 of the July "Metronome" appears a photograph captioned Bix Beiderbeeke and Frankie Trumbauer. It's Bix, all right; but a glance is enough to show that his companion isn't tram. Pee Wee Russell is our authority for the correction: the man shown with Bix is Frank "Josh" Billings, drummer of Mound City Blue Blower fame.'

      Does anyone know which photo the above refers to? The only one that springs to mind is the one in Ralph Berton's Remembering Bix, showing Bix and 'Tram' on a 'railroad station platform'.
    • gerry.paton
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2011
        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "gerry.paton" <gerry.paton@...> wrote:

        > I managed to wheedle the following info using an advance google book search (from a 1940 edition of "Jazz Information"):
        >
        > 'On page 21 of the July "Metronome" appears a photograph captioned Bix Beiderbeeke and Frankie Trumbauer. It's Bix, all right; but a glance is enough to show that his companion isn't tram. Pee Wee Russell is our authority for the correction: the man shown with Bix is Frank "Josh" Billings, drummer of Mound City Blue Blower fame.'
        >
        > Does anyone know which photo the above refers to? The only one that springs to mind is the one in Ralph Berton's Remembering Bix, showing Bix and 'Tram' on a 'railroad station platform'.

        I found this photo of Bix and Tram (clearly Trumbauer) at bixography.com:

        http://bixography.com/images2/bixtramlast1.jpg

        (you'll have to cut and paste the link I'm afraid)

        Even though he's standing on higher ground, Tram was clearly taller than Bix. The supposed Trumbauer shown in Berton's book is more or less the same height as Bix. So, I'm guessing the snap of the pair on a railroad station platform is, in fact, the one published in Metronome, in 1940. Bix companion certainly doesn't look like Trumbauer to me (not gaunt enough and too short).

        Are there any other photos of the Bix and Tram that anyone is aware of?
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2011
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 26, 2011
            Just an update. I managed to track down a July 1940 metronome and I can confirm that the photo in question is the one shown in Ralph Berton's book (at a railroad station). In short, it's a photo of Bix and Billings and not 'Tram'.