The magic of Trad Jazz

  • levi.marco@libero.it
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2011
      I've found this nice video on Y.T.http://youtu.be/lXKDu6cdXLIEnjoy it !Marco

    • Andrew Taylor
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2011
        Ran into this quote from a 2003 interview, not news but might interest
        some. I saw Allen once at Michael's Pub and enjoyed it, one of the few
        times I've seen NO-style clarinet live. I figure he's sincere and his
        fame helps other players work so all power to him.
        Andrew Taylor

        *on His Career in Music*
        <http://www.artzar.com/content/woody/index.htmlhttp://www.artzar.com/content/woody/index.html>

        "I'm a terrible player. All the acceptance I get is because I make
        movies. If I didn't make movies, no one would hire me to play music. I
        couldn't make a living at it. So when people come, they come more
        because they enjoyed my movies than to hear me play. Now what I do have
        is great affectionate enthusiasm for the music, and so I play with a lot
        of passion, but it doesn't matter because I don't have the talent. So
        the jazz people in the jazz world to my face are very kind, but behind
        my back they must roll their eyes and think...you know...that many more
        deserving musicians don't do as well, while I get a good size audience."

      • Richard Lund
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2011
          I had to butt in there real quick...
          I've seen him maybe over 15 years ago in Vienna, and apart from a bad
          sound engineer who turned up Woody's mic to the point where it drowned
          out the trumpet (yes, this guy definitely valued the movies over the
          music), I thought he was pretty good.

          That said, I've been playing Jazz clarinet myself for over 20 years, and
          I completely know the feeling he describes...
          For years and years I thought I wasn't any good at all - because I was
          comparing myself to the big names out there.

          But if all my stage experience has taught me something, it is that
          especially in this music IT DOES NOT MATTER how much training you have
          or how great your technique is - what matters most is if the audience
          likes it, and that is very closely related to how much you enjoy playing
          and are able to transmit that through your playing.

          My favorite songs to play are the slow ones - a) I don't have to worry
          about my lacking technique to show since I have enough time to put my
          fingers where they belong, and b) I can put a lot more emotion into my
          playing, and THAT is what gets the audience.

          Yes, there are terrible players out there, but Woody is not one of them,
          and as long as you don't completely suck and play like a robot, you're
          good enough.

          Just my 2 cents :-)
          I wish Woody could read this...

          Richard

          On 10/17/2011 11:35 AM, Andrew Taylor wrote:

          > "I'm a terrible player. All the acceptance I get is because I make
          > movies. If I didn't make movies, no one would hire me to play music. So
          > the jazz people in the jazz world to my face are very kind, but behind
          > my back they must roll their eyes[...]."

        • PETER GERLER
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 17, 2011
            Well, it's interesting, Andrew. The thing to do is watch "Wild Man Blues" (the movie) and judge for yourself. My own judgment: Woody's not a Bechet, Noone, or Russell, but he's a damn good player in that he sticks responsibly within the tradition. There's a line of thought--stated by Thomas Brothers among others--that if the early players had had too many chops, were articulate in all keys, scales, variations & alterations, that the polyphony would not have emerged as neatly defined as it did. The Wild Man Blues performances come together, with Woody doing what he's supposed to--as I hope was true when you saw him!

            All best,

            Peter Gerler
            Newton, MA
          • CJ Tobias
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 17, 2011
              Woody Allen and His Jazz Band will be performing at Royce Hall at UCLA next
              month. I would go, but, unfortunately, cannot afford the tickets. They are
              expensive. If you are from southern California then hopefully you can.

              http://halltickets.org/ResultsTicket.aspx?evtid=1756031&event=Woody+Allen+an
              d+His+New+Orleans+Jazz+Band&ppcsrc=8164926747&nid=1&eid=PL2&egid=B