Buddy Bolden's righteous Uptown Bumps

  • tommersl
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15, 2011
      I heard a version by a group featuring George Lewis a recording of a jam session but they just titled it as "Uptown Bumps". Ken Colyer titled the same tune as the title of this post.

      The link to Buddy Bolden I find it interesting, first I thought the tune was a 1950's tune without traces to the past, as the tune is very similar to what Sam Collins the Country Blues singer titled as "Midnight Special" and later popularized by folk singer Huddie Leadbelly Ledbetter.

      1. Why did Colyer titled it so?
      2. Is there a solid link between this and Buddy Bolden?
      3. Traces of the origin of the song?

      regards

      Tommer

      PS if a discussion about this was already done in the past I apologize in advance, the search didn't raise anything but the title is different between different versions and I might miss other version of the tune I didn't search for.
    • Robert
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2011
        "Uptown Bumps" is usually just another name for "The Bucket's Got a Hole In It" but with a short chorus or strain preceding the more familiar melody. George Lewis recorded Bucket with this extra chorus in 1946 for Blesh's Circle label. Can you supply more details regarding the Lewis session you heard?

        Robert Greenwood.
      • silverleafjb
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2011
          > 1. Why did Colyer titled it so?
          > 2. Is there a solid link between this and Buddy Bolden?
          > 3. Traces of the origin of the song?

          1. I don't think Colyer is responsible for the title; I believe he heard it referred to with that name when he was in New Orleans.
          2. No, but there is supposedly anecdotal evidence of Bolden playing "The Bucket's Got a Hole In It."
          3. It was published originally as the "Long Lost Blues," from either 1914 or 1917. It also shows up as part of a published medley of blues pieces called "A Bag of Blues."

          It can be found on RHJ by Trixie Smith as "Long Lost, Weary Blues" http://www.redhotjazz.com/trixiesmith.html

          Cheers,
          Chris
        • tommersl
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2011
            I was wondering whether the story about Bolden playing the tune is a fiction, since 1914 or 1917 came years after he was retired from playing music.

            What other possibilities does it leave?

            1. The old New Orleans players didn't recall the tune right and were influenced by a different tune that is the 1914/1917 tune.
            2. The original tune was played in New Orleans before the turn of the century and any 1914/1917 composition is a later copy of tune.
            3. Other options?

            Tommer