Re: [RedHotJazz] redhotjazz archive of web recordings

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14 11:44 PM
      Welcome to the group, Tom.

      And once again, I suggest redirecting all questions regarding the Archive
      website to the "technical" list ( rhj-tech@yahoogroups.com ), which would
      not only free the main discussion group from reports of the website's
      failures, but also enable us to collect more details, and share explanations
      (page at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/rhj-tech/).

      For instance, my interrogation here is whether you get a "general error" by
      trying to access the site's *pages*, or simply attempting to listen to some
      of the tunes.
      In either case, I can announce that have just finished creating a complete
      mirror of Scott's website, including all currently available songs, so you
      can get in touch with me or the "other" list mentioned above for special
      requests, which I will try to satisfy. But honestly, I doubt that access
      problems might concern whatever I managed to include in my local copy, there
      seems to be, quite simply, a constant number of missing or corrupted files
      resulting in error messages (usually, error 404 file not found).

      In order to make this clearer (and save everyone a lot of time blaming their
      computers, settings, or connections) the RHJ-tech team - that means, for
      the time being, Bob Smith and I - have startd a huge project, systematically
      listing all pages of the website (not finished yet) and checking valid and
      corrupted links to the sound files. I have created a first draft, a
      searchable and scrollable page which I try to update whenever I get more
      info :

      Bob has checked an impressive number of samples, including all of Morton and
      Oliver (Armstrong soon finished), and of course, everyone is more than
      welcome to help, by reporting valid and faulty links... either to the "tech"
      group, or privately, but *please, not here*!
      The next step will be to attempt listing all missing songs (the ones with a
      faulty link, not the ones typed in white) - and maybe eventually restore
      some of them... but I think that having a precise idea of what is actually
      working and what is not would already be of some help, whether Scott
      (hopefully) comes back some day to restore and upgrade his site, or... not
      :((

      Patrice