RE: [RedHotJazz] Noone Procope and Benny Waters

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2011
      Hi Robert

      Benny Waters was something of an anachronism, seemingly playing in a style
      unaltered from his formative years. I can believe that his clarinet playing
      was mellower because he was a very part-time clarinettist and that obviously
      produces a far more technically restrained result. Like Pres, Buddy Tate,
      Earle Warren, Benny Carter, Zoot Sims and Jimmy Giuffre. Or even Cap'n John
      Handy.

      OK. I'll accept Procope's credentials as N.O. clarinettist but he never was
      a great improviser on alto. Somewhere Charles Fox complains of him
      continually re-producing his one solo with Ellington.

      Love Joe Temperley -- truly original sound -- but I'll have to search for
      Simeon on baritone. Examples ?

      Davern was a very intelligent player and man but it's debatable whether he
      ever totally synthesised his very various influences.

      Jack Brymer was simply the finest clarinettist I ever heard. That seamless
      fluidity, beautiful unhistrionic but warm clear tone, everything required
      for classical repertoire. I also heard him on radio and remember him playing
      Goodman. I never knew he attempted jazz. Records ?

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2011
        'He was an important session musician. He played Bass Clarinet on the
        sound-tracks of the Hammer horror movies featuring actors Peter Cushing and
        Christopher Lee.

        He took over leadership of the London Saxophone Quartet after the death of
        its founder Michael Krein, playing Soprano Saxophone (which he considered
        the most 'Classical' of the Saxophone family).

        During his military service in the RAF, he was a Fitness Instructor and
        Unarmed Combat Instructor. His extreme fitness may have contributed
        significantly to his exceptional tone-quality.

        He was virtually alone in being the complete master of both the 'Classical'
        and the Jazz styles. He could play Benny Goodman's style almost
        indistinguishably from Benny Goodman himself. He was a personal friend of
        Benny Goodman. In earlier years, he played Saxophone and Clarinet in Dance
        Bands.

        A significant feature of his style of playing was his use of vibrato, and he
        is considered to be one of the first clarinet players to use this
        systematically.'

        Just dug that out of Wikipedia on Jack Brymer. Several things there to add
        to his jazz credentials.