Louis Tio band career info?

  • ikey100
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2011
      Further to the recent Noone and Procope thread, I'm researching the brass band cornetist and singer U.S.G. Patterson, and thanks to Seroff and Abbott's books, and subsequent immersions in The Freeman, The Clipper, and other sources, I've learned that he played in touring shows with Louis "Papa" Tio during the 1890's.

      Of course many sources cite both Louis and Lorenzo (Sr.) playing in the Excelsior Brass Band in New Orleans, but I had not previously known about either one having spent time in touring shows. The census usually lists Louis Tio under his regular occupation of cigar maker, but I presume he also taught like his younger brother Lorenzo. Anyway, can anyone offer any more information about this time playing in touring shows by Louis Tio, or his servie in circus or minstrel bands, even those that stayed put in New Orleans, or point me to sources for further details of his life between arrival from Cuba and about 1900?