RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Noone and Procope

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 12, 2011
      Hi Marc

      Quite prepared to believe you and Dave Green but can't find any Waters on
      clarinet. Quite a lot Youtube but alto.

      Anybody point at some online or anywhere else ?

    • stevenabrams78jazz
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 13, 2011
        HI DAVID:
        You might find Ben Waters on clarinet with King Oliver's Dixie Syncopators especially perhaps TIN ROOF blues.
        He also played with Clarence Williams Blue Five around 1925 perhaps on the Sarah Martin side doing Cushion Foot Stomp.

        Steven Abrams
        San Francisco

        --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@...> wrote:

        > Hi Marc
        >
        > Quite prepared to believe you and Dave Green but can't find any Waters on
        > clarinet. Quite a lot Youtube but alto.
        >
        > Anybody point at some online or anywhere else ?
        >

        > Dave

      • Bob Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 14, 2011
          Dear David,

          I've also got Ben Waters as sometimes possible, sometimes probable, and almost certain on Clarence Williams with King Oliver recordings in 1928, thus:
          CW' Jazz Kings: Red River Blues and I Need You (possible) clt & alt 1928-05-29
          CW & His Orchestra: Long , Deep, And Wide; Speakeasy; Squeeze Me; New Down Home Blues (probably) ten & clt c.1928-08
          Katherine Henderson, CW and his Orchestra: Lonesome Lovesick Blues; Have You Felt That Way?; What Can You Do Without Me? (almost certain) ten c. 1928-10
          CW & His Orchestra: Wildflower Rag; Midnight Stomp; I'm Through (almost certain) ten & clt c. 1928-11
          CW & His Orchestra: Bozo; Longshoreman's Blues (almost certain) ten c.1928-11
          Katherine Henderson, CW and his Orchestra: Do It Baby; Mushy Love; If You Like Me (possibly) ten c. 1928-11
          CW & His Orchestra: Beau-Koo Jack; Sister Kate; Pane In The Glass (almost certain) ten & clt c. 1928-12

          Source: K.-B Rau

          Kind Regards

          Bob Smith

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 14, 2011
            Hi Bob

            Many thanks for the long list. Reasonable bustling neo-Hawkins tenor solos
            there are but few clarinet solos and those are very, very unimpressive and
            on this evidence he must rank as the worst clarinet that Clarence used --
            which is saying something.

            Nothing here to equate with the happy memories of fine and mellow clarinet.
            So I must assume he later improved.

            All Best