RE: [RedHotJazz] buster bailey....

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
      Michael

      That's very interesting and not anything elsewhere documented as far as I
      know. That would not however mean that Buster did not consider himself
      superior.

      Alan

      Ray Crane was, by a large distance, the best British Mainstream/Modern
      trumpeter. Beautiful tone, creative, rhythmically audacious and not afraid
      to take risks but always within the bounds of good taste.

    • Andrew Taylor
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
        Curious about Ray Crane, I found this Youtube video of Bruce Turner's
        Jump Band, which I believe features Crane on trumpet (source
        <http://books.google.com/books?id=I5wrGL-a-Q8C&lpg=PR3-IA78&ots=qxoqNLLveJ&dq=trumpet%20british%20%22Ray%20Crane%22&pg=PR3-IA78#v=onepage&q=trumpet%20british%20%22Ray%20Crane%22&f=false>).
        The whole band is great.
        - Andrew Taylor

        Swing Tune- Bruce Turner 1961 <http://youtu.be/5zN0Mi64szE>

        On 9/1/2011 11:34 AM, David Brown wrote:

        > Michael
        >
        > That's very interesting and not anything elsewhere documented as far as I
        > know. That would not however mean that Buster did not consider himself
        > superior.
        >
        > Alan
        >
        > Ray Crane was, by a large distance, the best British Mainstream/Modern
        > trumpeter. Beautiful tone, creative, rhythmically audacious and not afraid
        > to take risks but always within the bounds of good taste.
        >
        > Dave

        Andrew Taylor, MLS
        Co-Curator, Visual Resources
        713-348-4836

      • ALAN BOND
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
          Hi Andrew,
                             Nice stuff by the Bruce Turner band but it's John Chilton on Trumpet and it's a clip from the film 'Living Jazz'. I would dearly love to have a copy of the film but have had no luck at all.
          TTFN - 007

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
            Pleasant surprise for me as an Armstrong buff, enjoyed Chilton's
            excellent (as I recall) biography of Armstrong /Louis: The Louis
            Armstrong Story/ (with Max Jones). Have to read his book on Louis
            Jordan as well. I hadn't known he played trumpet [so well]. Now even
            more curious to see/hear Ray Crane.
            -Andrew Taylor

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
              Hi Andrew,
                                I have a Sandy Brown LP with Ray Crane on it which I may be able to set up as a sound file of some sort. I normally record stuff and put it straight on to CD as it is less hassle. I heard Ray Crane live quite a few times in the Watford area when he had a very nice quintet. Like most jazzers he was a very pleasant chap to talk to and most receptive of the offer of liquid refreshment which was, as always, tongue loosening, and some very convivial evenings ensued.
              TTFN - 007