Re: [RedHotJazz] buster bailey....

  • ALAN BOND
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
      Hi Michael,
                          I think he was probably right but I can name quite a few (including Buster Bailey) who were not so far behind him. There are many unsung heroes in jazz and I will cite two Britsh players, namely trumpeter Ray Crane and pianist Harry Walton both of whom are sadly, no longer with us.
      TTFN - 007

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
        Michael

        That's very interesting and not anything elsewhere documented as far as I
        know. That would not however mean that Buster did not consider himself
        superior.

        Alan

        Ray Crane was, by a large distance, the best British Mainstream/Modern
        trumpeter. Beautiful tone, creative, rhythmically audacious and not afraid
        to take risks but always within the bounds of good taste.

      • Andrew Taylor
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
          Curious about Ray Crane, I found this Youtube video of Bruce Turner's
          Jump Band, which I believe features Crane on trumpet (source
          <http://books.google.com/books?id=I5wrGL-a-Q8C&lpg=PR3-IA78&ots=qxoqNLLveJ&dq=trumpet%20british%20%22Ray%20Crane%22&pg=PR3-IA78#v=onepage&q=trumpet%20british%20%22Ray%20Crane%22&f=false>).
          The whole band is great.
          - Andrew Taylor

          Swing Tune- Bruce Turner 1961 <http://youtu.be/5zN0Mi64szE>

          On 9/1/2011 11:34 AM, David Brown wrote:

          > Michael
          >
          > That's very interesting and not anything elsewhere documented as far as I
          > know. That would not however mean that Buster did not consider himself
          > superior.
          >
          > Alan
          >
          > Ray Crane was, by a large distance, the best British Mainstream/Modern
          > trumpeter. Beautiful tone, creative, rhythmically audacious and not afraid
          > to take risks but always within the bounds of good taste.
          >
          > Dave

          Andrew Taylor, MLS
          Co-Curator, Visual Resources
          713-348-4836

        • ALAN BOND
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
            Hi Andrew,
                               Nice stuff by the Bruce Turner band but it's John Chilton on Trumpet and it's a clip from the film 'Living Jazz'. I would dearly love to have a copy of the film but have had no luck at all.
            TTFN - 007

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
              Pleasant surprise for me as an Armstrong buff, enjoyed Chilton's
              excellent (as I recall) biography of Armstrong /Louis: The Louis
              Armstrong Story/ (with Max Jones). Have to read his book on Louis
              Jordan as well. I hadn't known he played trumpet [so well]. Now even
              more curious to see/hear Ray Crane.
              -Andrew Taylor

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
                Hi Andrew,
                                  I have a Sandy Brown LP with Ray Crane on it which I may be able to set up as a sound file of some sort. I normally record stuff and put it straight on to CD as it is less hassle. I heard Ray Crane live quite a few times in the Watford area when he had a very nice quintet. Like most jazzers he was a very pleasant chap to talk to and most receptive of the offer of liquid refreshment which was, as always, tongue loosening, and some very convivial evenings ensued.
                TTFN - 007