buster bailey....

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
      Not exactly on the topic, but I heard an interview with Buster Bailey on WDET radio. It must have been late 60's. The one thing I particularly remember is that the interviewer asked him who was the greatest clarinetist in jazz and he replied unhestitatingly, Benny Goodman.
    • ALAN BOND
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
        Hi Michael,
                            I think he was probably right but I can name quite a few (including Buster Bailey) who were not so far behind him. There are many unsung heroes in jazz and I will cite two Britsh players, namely trumpeter Ray Crane and pianist Harry Walton both of whom are sadly, no longer with us.
        TTFN - 007

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
          Michael

          That's very interesting and not anything elsewhere documented as far as I
          know. That would not however mean that Buster did not consider himself
          superior.

          Alan

          Ray Crane was, by a large distance, the best British Mainstream/Modern
          trumpeter. Beautiful tone, creative, rhythmically audacious and not afraid
          to take risks but always within the bounds of good taste.

        • Andrew Taylor
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
            Curious about Ray Crane, I found this Youtube video of Bruce Turner's
            Jump Band, which I believe features Crane on trumpet (source
            <http://books.google.com/books?id=I5wrGL-a-Q8C&lpg=PR3-IA78&ots=qxoqNLLveJ&dq=trumpet%20british%20%22Ray%20Crane%22&pg=PR3-IA78#v=onepage&q=trumpet%20british%20%22Ray%20Crane%22&f=false>).
            The whole band is great.
            - Andrew Taylor

            Swing Tune- Bruce Turner 1961 <http://youtu.be/5zN0Mi64szE>

            On 9/1/2011 11:34 AM, David Brown wrote:

            > Michael
            >
            > That's very interesting and not anything elsewhere documented as far as I
            > know. That would not however mean that Buster did not consider himself
            > superior.
            >
            > Alan
            >
            > Ray Crane was, by a large distance, the best British Mainstream/Modern
            > trumpeter. Beautiful tone, creative, rhythmically audacious and not afraid
            > to take risks but always within the bounds of good taste.
            >
            > Dave

            Andrew Taylor, MLS
            Co-Curator, Visual Resources
            713-348-4836

          • ALAN BOND
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
              Hi Andrew,
                                 Nice stuff by the Bruce Turner band but it's John Chilton on Trumpet and it's a clip from the film 'Living Jazz'. I would dearly love to have a copy of the film but have had no luck at all.
              TTFN - 007

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
                Pleasant surprise for me as an Armstrong buff, enjoyed Chilton's
                excellent (as I recall) biography of Armstrong /Louis: The Louis
                Armstrong Story/ (with Max Jones). Have to read his book on Louis
                Jordan as well. I hadn't known he played trumpet [so well]. Now even
                more curious to see/hear Ray Crane.
                -Andrew Taylor

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
                  Hi Andrew,
                                    I have a Sandy Brown LP with Ray Crane on it which I may be able to set up as a sound file of some sort. I normally record stuff and put it straight on to CD as it is less hassle. I heard Ray Crane live quite a few times in the Watford area when he had a very nice quintet. Like most jazzers he was a very pleasant chap to talk to and most receptive of the offer of liquid refreshment which was, as always, tongue loosening, and some very convivial evenings ensued.
                  TTFN - 007