Re: Noone on Oliver's Camp Meeting Blues

  • silverleafjb
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 30, 2011
      ALAN BOND <alan_bond@...> wrote:
      snip> I would, however, disagree with the conclusions regarding Buster Bailey. His technical ability was far in advance of Noone's, as his work with Fletcher Henderson and John Kirby testifies.

      Not to be contentious, Alan, but you are referring to Bailey ten years later, in the context of Kirby and Henderson. And my original comment was:

      "Bailey was a capable clarinetist but he just didn't have the FEELING that Noone did."

      IMO Noone played with a much better "jazz" feel (for lack of a better term for it) than Bailey. Yes, Bailey had prodigious technique, but to me, I've never been able to stand the tone he got on the instrument. I'd rather hear a clarinetist with a nice tone and limited technique than someone with lots of technique. My feeling is technique is only a means to an end, not the end itself, and that goes for anyone playing any instrument.

      He did play metal clarinet but I don't think he ever played Albert. At least I've never seen a photo of him with an Albert.

      I also believe Noone took lessons from Franz Schoepp.

      Cheers,
      Chris
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1 1:52 AM
        Many thanks Nick for the definitive discographical overview and history.

        You put your finger right on the nub -- why -- what source was there for --
        the continual discographical amendments ?

        Perhaps somebody with Storyvilles -- and an index -- could check for this
        topic.

        What this proves is that the clarinet on the Columbias has always been
        contentious and it is not so easy to pick and open to alternative aural
        interpretation. I myself have heard it both -- if not all -- ways over the
        years.

        The 7 rejected takes might also suggest a problem with the musicians rather
        than the equipment. Certainly Noone on 'Chattanooga' sounds less than his
        fluent best and the playing on the other three sides is stronger. I can't
        think there was any temperamental or musical clash between Oliver and Noone
        and maybe the latter was 'under the weather' and, for reasons of safety, an
        alternative was found for the next day's session.

        As to Buster, he was a better jazz player earlier, when his models were New
        Orleanian, and before his studies with Schoepp which I consider the reason
        for his drastic change is style. But I also note that Noone studied with
        Schoepp.

        The tenuous and circumstantial documentary evidence would seem to come down
        for the Columbias having both Noone and Buster.

        Aurally, you pays your money and takes your choice but I believe, without
        doubt, that Noone is on 'Chattanooga'.

      • ALAN BOND
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1 4:06 AM
          Hi Folks,
                          That sounds like a reasonable theory to me and I don't think we are going to get any closer unless new information surfaces.
                          I am afraid I can't agree that Buster Bailey was a better jazz player in 1923 than he was in, say, 1940. His work with John Kirby alone is proof of that. It's very like saying that Ian Wheeler was a better player when he was with Ken Colyer than when he was with Chris Barber. Musicians develop their skills over time just like anyone else who takes an interest in their craft and they are also subject to other musical influences.

          TTFN - 007

          --- On Thu, 1/9/11, David Brown <johnhaleysims@...> wrotIe:

          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 1 4:19 AM
            This is a disagreement caused merely by failure to define terms. Bailey was
            unquestionably technically superior in 1940 but does this make him a better
            jazz player? Many commentators, especially those oriented towards
            traditional jazz, have thought otherwise.

            John Chilton¹s ³Deficient in the emotional directness expected of the
            greatest jazz musicians¹ (Grove) is at least a sustainable comment, but not
            in respect of his earliest recordings. It¹s clear to me that he chose to
            play in a more detached style with Kirby and on other later associations.
            Some of his blues accompaniments show that it was a choice and that he could
            still achieve a different balance between emotion and technique when he
            wanted.

            on 01/09/2011 12:06, ALAN BOND at alan_bond@... wrote:

            > Hi Folks,
            >                 That sounds like a reasonable theory to me and I don't think
            > we are going to get any closer unless new information surfaces.
            >                 I am afraid I can't agree that Buster Bailey was a better jazz
            > player in 1923 than he was in, say, 1940. His work with John Kirby alone is
            > proof of that. It's very like saying that Ian Wheeler was a better player when
            > he was with Ken Colyer than when he was with Chris Barber. Musicians develop
            > their skills over time just like anyone else who takes an interest in their
            > craft and they are also subject to other musical influences.
            >
            > TTFN - 007
            >
            > --- On Thu, 1/9/11, David Brown <johnhaleysims@...
            > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> > wrotIe:
            >
            > From: David Brown <johnhaleysims@...
            > <mailto:johnhaleysims%40yahoo.co.uk> >
            > Subject: RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: Noone on Oliver's Camp Meeting Blues
            > To: RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com <mailto:RedHotJazz%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Date: Thursday, 1 September, 2011, 9:52
            >
            > Many thanks Nick for the definitive discographical overview and history.
            >
            > You put your finger right on the nub -- why -- what source was there for --
            > the continual discographical amendments ?
            >
            > Perhaps somebody with Storyvilles -- and an index -- could check for this
            > topic.
            >
            > What this proves is that the clarinet on the Columbias has always been
            > contentious and it is not so easy to pick and open to alternative aural
            > interpretation. I myself have heard it both -- if not all -- ways over the
            > years.
            >
            > The 7 rejected takes might also suggest a problem with the musicians rather
            > than the equipment. Certainly Noone on 'Chattanooga' sounds less than his
            > fluent best and the playing on the other three sides is stronger. I can't
            > think there was any temperamental or musical clash between Oliver and Noone
            > and maybe the latter was 'under the weather' and, for reasons of safety, an
            > alternative was found for the next day's session.
            >
            > As to Buster, he was a better jazz player earlier, when his models were New
            > Orleanian, and before his studies with Schoepp which I  consider the reason
            > for his drastic change is style. But I also note that Noone studied with
            > Schoepp.
            >
            > The tenuous and circumstantial documentary evidence would seem to come down
            > for the Columbias having both Noone and Buster.
            >
            > Aurally, you pays your money and takes your choice but I believe, without
            > doubt, that Noone is on 'Chattanooga'.
            >
            > Dave

          • ALAN BOND
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 1 5:12 AM
              Hi Folks,
                            Answer - YES
              TTFN - 007

              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 1 7:46 AM
                Right Howard

                There are indeed a few late examples of Buster playing a good blues but his
                normal blues mode was rather too glib. However, this style totally suited
                the 'tight arsed' Kirby band of which he was the best part.

                I can't remember source but Buster was extremely jealous of Goodman,
                considering himself the better player and this was the reason for the rather
                dreadful 'Man With A Horn Goes Berserk' in which he displays his speed at
                the sacrifice of music and any semblance of jazz tone or even decent
                classical tone.

                Goodman reported playing duets with Buster for Schoepp but I doubt if
                either, or Noone, had their jazz playing enhanced. Noone also became rather
                glib although even late could play a sublime blues.

                Goodman's jazz was even more damaged by his studies with Kell and I posit
                that 'proper' classical technique is really inimical to jazz and certainly
                jazz tone, whatever that is.

                I also conjecture that the riches that we have within our 'red hot' period
                are due, in no small part, to the fact that the musicians were self, or
                badly, taught and often had 'faulty' technique.

              • ALAN BOND
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 1 9:09 AM
                  Hi Folks,
                                If you want blues feeling from a clarinet player look no further than Russell Procope or Barney Bigard. The former is on Jelly Roll Morton's 'Deep Creek' and his short clarinet passage there has more blues feeling than I would have credited to any man. Bigard, of course, spent all those years with Duke Ellington and his chair was latterly taken by Russell Procope who added another value to the rich tapestry of the Ellington band. Neither of them were 'flashy' technical players either and both paid homage to Buster Bailey at one time or another.
                  TTFN - 007

                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 1 9:25 AM
                    Alan

                    If it is Procope on 'Deep Creek' I think the clarinet solo was written out
                    by Morton because it is far more convincing blues than anything else he ever
                    played. I feel that with Ellington he offered pastiche of N.O. clarinet.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 29 6:32 AM
                      An essay by Richard Rains on this subject appears in the latest VJM
                      magazine.

                      Mr Rains comes down for Noone throughout although fails to offer any new
                      evidence.

                      On the contrary, he specifies the claim by Buster to Arnold Klein that he
                      played on one Columbia date and, at one time, had test pressings.

                      For us to discount this, as does Mr Rains, we must believe that either Klein
                      or Buster were lying -- elaborately.

                      However, we are left with the lack of documentary evidence for the Columbias
                      being split over two consecutive days although Rust claimed this was from
                      Columbia files. Do we also believe he was lying ?

                      This issue must finally be decided aurally and that is subjective. There is
                      near contemporary aural evidence of Buster which shows playing consistent in
                      style with, and certainly not anomalous to, the last three Columbias. There
                      is also aural evidence that the acoustic and balance of the last three sides
                      is different from 'Chattanooga'. It is possible, as Mr Rains, to construct a
                      scenario wherein the balance was altered during a single session but that
                      the latter three sides were made at a later session is more probable because
                      there were, after all, no playback possibilities in acoustic days.

                      Also difficult to ignore Noone's own confirmation and denial of his presence
                      when played these sides.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 30 9:28 AM
                        on 29/09/2011 14:32, David Brown at johnhaleysims@... wrote:

                        > However, we are left with the lack of documentary evidence for the Columbias
                        > being split over two consecutive days although Rust claimed this was from
                        > Columbia files. Do we also believe he was lying ?

                        I have also seen these file cards and Brian is certainly not lying, but
                        there is room for alternative interpretations.

                        What follows only summarizes the conclusions set out by Laurie Wright in
                        King Joe Oliver (pages 31-2), but the surviving filing from this era does
                        not show recording dates. The source of the recording dates shown by earlier
                        writers including the original Allen/Rust book is simply no longer known.
                        However, this was published before Rust had had access to the files. Thew
                        dates are claimed to be from the Columbia files and appear already in
                        Delaunay, but were not known to Index to Jazz.

                        All that can be said is that they can no longer be verified.

                        The surviving file cards show only shipping dates. This date is 20 October
                        1923 for 81300, 81301 (unissued) and 81302 takes-1-2-3 (unissued). For 81302
                        takes 4-5, 81303, and 81304 the shipping date is 23 October 1923. There can
                        be no doubt that, as Laurie Wright reports, the file card for 81302 has been
                        reinserted in the typewriter to add the two additional takes, so this is not
                        merely a techinical matter.

                        Laurie of course believed that two clarinettists were involved and that one
                        of them is heard only on 81300. It will be evident that anyone who wants to
                        say this is a circular argument cannot be disproved with the data now
                        available.

                        I have not bothered to intervene before because clearly those who wish to
                        discuss this have already rejected the conclusions in King Joe Oliver on the
                        basis of rejecting the interpretation of the facts there given. They have no
                        new facts to offer. Richard Rains hears what he wants to hear and is
                        perfectly entitled to do so. He is perfectly entitled also to argue that
                        Laurie Wright was doing the same. For my part I shall continue to regard
                        Laurie¹s interpretation as definitive in the absence of any new evidence. I
                        also, if I am honest, regard this continual speculative reworking of
                        familiar ground as a waste of time when there is so much real research which
                        could be being done.

                        But to get back to the point. No Brian was not lying. I also guess Charles
                        Delaunay had seen filing at Columbia that no longer existed by the 1970s.

                        Incidentally in 1961 Columbia still had masters of at least one take of
                        81300/03/04, not that it does us any good, and that was fifty years worth of
                        new brooms ago at that.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 4, 2011
                          Many thanks to Howard for the totally authoritative discographical overview.

                          My question as to whether Rust was lying was rhetorical and I hope I implied
                          that I did not believe the conspiracy theory involving Rust, Buster and/or
                          Klein and did not reject Laurie's opinion and research, which documentary
                          evidence from files and Buster, and even Noone, supports.

                          Although new documentary evidence is unlikely to appear, I do think such
                          chestnuts can usefully be revisited in the light of new technology. The
                          latest transcriptions offer detail that could never have been imagined in
                          the days of the discographical pioneers. It is possible now to slow and
                          speed and superimpose and compare extracts and even sound waves.

                          But, in end, even aural evidence of this refined definition is subjective.