Re: [RedHotJazz] What the Papers Say...

    Message 1 of 54 , Aug 29, 2011
      I was going to remark that British jazz couldn't have started with the ODJB
      because they were Americans, but luckily I remembered Billy Jones before I
      said it. Morally though I think it's still true!

      Nick Dellow and I are completely in agreement that there is a discontinuity
      between the jazz of the 1919-1923 period, which was influenced by the ODJB
      and The Jazz Kings and the musicians who fanned out into the clubs from the
      Southern Syncopated Orchestra, and the return to hotter models after 1930
      and the period when New York chamber jazz was regarded as the best thing
      since sliced bread (which probably hadn't been invented). (Did Max Goldberg
      tell you, Nick, in what chronological order he was influenced by the three
      musicians he named.)

      As to whether the earlier musicians influenced the general scheme of things,
      we have an objective test in the fates of non-American musicians who worked
      alongside these guys in the Southern Syncopated Orchestra and the recroding
      groups.

      This isn't the forum for a detailed analysis, but from the SSO let's just
      mention Cyril Blake, who became a stalwart of the Soho jam scene and made
      significant records in 1941, Ted Heath, who became a major figure, drummer
      Harry Robbins who was Jack Hylton's drummer for a time and is on numerous
      studio recordings of the 30s including some as leader, and drummer Billy
      Taylor (Manchester-born son of an African-American minstrel man) who
      recorded with Freddy Johnson's band in Paris in the 30s.

      From Vorzanger's band clarinettist Nat Star went on to be highly regarded.

    • ROBERT R. CALDER
      Message 54 of 54 , Aug 23, 2012
        Well said, Luis!
        NETIQUETTE, PLEASE, some would-be contributors!!!
        You come here to respond to messages
        NOT TO BURY THEM in copies of the same text
        Please delete the hundreds of lines to which
        you are replying.

        RRC