Re: [RedHotJazz] Vitals for Charlie Jackson

  • ALAN BOND
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 13, 2011
      Hi Folks,
                     Information on Charlie Jackson the saxophonist is scarce to say the least. However, he is/was not known as 'Papa' - that sobriquet applies to the banjo/guitar player Charlie Jackson. I looked in John Chilton's 'Who's Who of Jazz' and there is no entry for Charlie Jackson in the edition that I have. One thing is certain and that is that Charlie was not with Oliver's band from about September 1924 and I can find no mention of him at all after that time. Apart from the two October 1923 Oliver sessions for Okeh there is no further record of him in the jazz discographies. No doubt he was a jobbing musician eking out a living from session work like so many others who never made it into the record books. Even using a genealogy site it would be difficult to trace the man with a name that occurs so frequently - there must be thousands of Jacksons listed in census records alone.
      TTFN - 007

      #38 Pirates Lane - Nanaimo, BC
      V9R 6R1 CANADA

      http://maps.google.ca/maps?client=safari&rls=en&q=112+pirates+lane+nanaimo&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x5488a1155cd4a9a9:0x7894d46bb8ff6677,112+Pirates+Ln,+Nanaimo,+BC+V9R+6R1&gl=ca&ei=dU0yTrahBIPjiALtxP3DCA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

      Phone: 250-667-0238

      On 2011-08-11, at 6:37 AM, BSGoggin wrote:

      > Andrew,
      >
      > Again, I presume you mean Charlie Jackson.
      >
      > As someone mentioned below, Laurie doesn't provide dates for him, but he was killed in a fight at some point in the 1920s apparently - will get a citation for that and get back to you.
      >
      > He's not Papa Charlie, and it would be a common name.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Brian.
      >
      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Homzy <andrew.homzy@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > Does anyone know the birth & death dates of Charlie Johnson - the one who played bass sax with King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band.
      > >
      > > I have none of my books at hand and all I can locate on the net is pianist "Fess" Johnson.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Andrew

      Yahoo! Groups
      Links