Webster Hotel

  • Peter L Reid
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2011
      Hi to all,
      I got there, last week, at long last.
      Caught a bus to Lincoln Park, and there on the SW corner of Webster Street,
      was the Webster Hotel.
      Being 85 years late, I missed Jelly and the rest of the Peppers, but my
      imagination ran rife.
      Unfortunately I wasn't able to get inside, as the Webster is now an
      apartment
      block and they have fairly strict security.
      It is an imposing place, and by comparing it to an early photo I found,
      looks pretty much
      as it did all those years ago.
      I took several pictures, whistled and hummed "Smokehouse Blues", muttered
      "Oh Mr Jelly" and left. What a great experience.
      Thanks to Yves Francois for giving me spot-on instructions on how to
      find it.

      Peter L.
    • Tony Standish
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2011
        Know how you felt, Peter. Went to Fannin St, and 18th and 19th on Chestnut
        Street, saw nothing but warehouses! Hollywood and Vine was a big downer,
        too. But those streets in New Orleans....sent chills up and down my spine.
        Tony