Re: [RedHotJazz] Sheet Music - Was: Who played the clarinette...

  • Andrew Homzy
    Message 1 of 41 , Jun 2, 2011
      There are a lot of sheet music sellers on eBay. And do a google search.

      But, unless you really want original copies, there is a lot available from on-line collections from various libraries - only if published before 1923.

      And all for free -

      You will have to search harder -

      Cheers,

      Andrew

      On 2011-06-02, at 5:32 PM, Richard Lund wrote:

      > Hi.
      >
      > I just have to jijack this thread real quick to simply ask this:
      > Where can you actually get sheet music from the 20's???
      >
      > A band in Munich has quite a list of original arrangements and sheet
      > music from back then, but other than that I have not really found
      > anything. ... OK, to be fair, I haven't really searched that hard,
      > either ;-)
      > I'm guessing they cost a fortune, so chances are I wouldn't be able to
      > get any, but I thought it's worth asking...
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Richard
      >
      > On 6/2/2011 4:17 PM, Andrew Homzy wrote:
      > >
      > > Jazz research needs to take a closer look at sheet music publishing
      > > and from that, we will get a greater understanding as to why certain
      > > pieces were recorded by certain recording companies and certain groups.

    • ALAN BOND
      Message 41 of 41 , Jun 8, 2011
        Hi Folks,
                      The differences between the Albert system and the Boehm system are quite simple to explain. With the Albert (or simple, as it is sometimes known) system clarinet there are no alternative ways of playing any of the notes whereas the Boehm system allows this facility thus making the instrument slightly easier to play. The sytem was invented for the flute by Theobald Boehm in the 1840s and later adapted for many woodwind instruments. I know how the system works but to explain it is very long winded and there is a very good description of it in Wikipaedia which can be found by entering 'Boehm system clarinet' in your search engine.

                            For many years I owned an Albert system clarinet but as my main instrument was a trombone it saw very little use. A number of clarinet players of my acquaintance who used Boehm instruments tried it out and found it to be an acquired taste. Eventually I passed it on to a chap who persevered with it but he said that some of the more difficult passages that he was able to perform on the Boehm system were fiendishly difficult on the Albert system. Incidentally, most reed instruments around these days use a version of the Boehm system in one form or another.

        TTFN - 007

        On 2011-06-08, at 11:10 AM, Erlend Bronken wrote:

        > Hello, everybody.
        >
        > Thanks for all replies, and thanks especially to those who informed me about the
        listings in Rust and Lord, that was very valuable.

        > So many topics and perspectives of view have come up here, but nobody really went into the music, for an answer. I analyzed the piece. They have changed some chords, on the second recording. The very few variations made by Dodds, are made where the chords are the same as before. Kid Ory also has a line he plays over and over, by the way. The added chords give a better harmonic curve and drive forward, as compared to the original, traditional, rather static blues scheme. So they added to the quality of the tune this way, and the musicians have been given specific lines to fit with the new chords. The line Dodds is playing again and again, is so classically built, it could have been taken out of a text book on composition. It also has a rather unidiomatic recurring motif (complex fingering) that would probably not have been there, had Dodds made his own line. Now, there is one member of
        the band who has classical training and who has studied music theory at Fisk University. Lillian Hardin is listed as arranger on all of these records, but it seems to me that nobody ever reflected on what she is actually doing as an arranger in this band. I guess the observations made here, give us an example of it.