Re: Lil Armstrong '35 tour

  • Martin J
    Message 1 of 54 , May 31 4:05 PM
      in relation to Warren's query, I absolutely agree with Albertson: I had not read the Alberson criticism before, but it is right on. The book's a waste of time. I scoffed all the way to the end.

      > I was going to get the Lil Armstrong biography, written by one James L. Dickerson, until I read some scathing criticism by Chris Albertson, in which he said that it was not only error filled and lacking original research, but completely off base in its' characterization and interpretations. I figure as much as anyone living, he should know, but does anyone here have anything to say about the book?
      >
      > Warren
      >

      > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, "David Brown" <johnhaleysims@> wrote:
      >
      > >> I have -- Jazz Essential Companion -- that Jonah was working with Stuff Smith in a band that Lil took over and she 'remorselessly' billed him as 'King Louis II' and that he left soon after. This implies Jonah was as unhappy in this role as one might expect.

    • ROBERT R. CALDER
      Message 54 of 54 , Aug 23, 2012
        Well said, Luis!
        NETIQUETTE, PLEASE, some would-be contributors!!!
        You come here to respond to messages
        NOT TO BURY THEM in copies of the same text
        Please delete the hundreds of lines to which
        you are replying.

        RRC