Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: Recording from the Red Hot Jazz Archive

  • Bob Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , May 28, 2011
      Dear Jack,

      On my screen there are five bars at the top of the screen. My screen is in Norwegian, so my translations will probably be a bit different to your texts, but I hope you can find out the right positions.
      The top bar (blue) just says Audacity, No.2 is the normal File, Edit, Display ..., No. 3 starts with 2x3 rows of small icons followed by the round control buttons, Rewind, Play, Record, Pause, Stop, Fast Forward, then come the playback and recording level indicators for the left and right stereo channels calibrated from -48 to 0 dB . No. 4 starts with the replay setting control, then the recording level setting control, then the all-important type of recording control followed by a a row of small icons. Finally No. 5 is the elapsed time during recording that should be showing seconds from just under 0.0 to 10.0 at about 1" apart on the screen (these will scroll during recording).
      Before recording do the following:
      Press the arrow on the all-important type of recording control, and select the top one (something like "Mixer for external digitally ...").
      From the File-menu select Options ( ? ) and Audio I/O. For unit select SoundMAX Digital Audio, for channel select 1 (Mono). For Quality select 44100 Hz, 16 bit, High Quality Sync interpolation, Real Time Dither None, High Quality dither triangular.
      Set the recording and playback level controls to about 4.
      Now choose your track from the Red Hot Jazz Archive and let it play in RealPlayer until download is complete. Press stop and note the record length as shown by RealPlayer.
      Now press the recording button on Audacity, and then the play button on RealPlayer. Look at Audacity and see if the waves are all within the limits. If not stop the recording, reduce the recording level control, press Ctrl-A, Ctrl-K, and the small x in the top left-hand corner of the wave display. Repeat the start recording procedure.
      Edit away the silences at the start and end of the recording by clicking on a silence and the dragging the two ends to each end of the silence.
      I usually find that the first recording is too slow. To correct this press End on the keyboard, and note the time at the end of the recording. On a three minute record, my track is usually about 15 seconds too long. To correct this press Ctrl-A, then from the Effect-menu select Record speed, and replace 0.0 with a number that is about ½ of the excess seconds (an unsigned number will reduce the length, and a minus number will increase the length of the recording).
      Now from the Effect-menu select Volume. If a number appears in the box press OK, but if 0.0 appears press cancel.
      On the keyboard press Home then select Export as wav or Export as mp3 from the File-menu.
      Now select your directory, write in the record name and press OK.

      I'm pretty certain I've forgotten something, so if this is double-Dutch or you don't get results let me know and I'll do my best to correct my errors.

      Kind Regards

      Bob

      Message 2 of 13 , May 28, 2011
        Bob,

        Your tutorial was a perfect example of what this group's rules strongly
        suggest to send privately.

        Put this way because I'm in a reasonably good mood ;-)

        Mind the step!

        Patrice
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 13 , May 29, 2011
          Hello Bob,

          I'm already lost. The recording control in the Mixer Toolbar has a default value of Microphone. The top choice, the one you can select directly above Microphone, is something called SPDIF. Then, below SPDIF comes the default value of Microphone, followed by Line In, CD Audio, Video, Aux, Mono Mix, and Stereo Mix.

          The second bar (directly below the blue Audacity bar) has File, Edit, View, Project, Generate, Effect, Analyze, and Help.

          The File Menu doesn't give a selection called Options. The only choices that are highlighted at this point are New, Open, Close, Save Project As, Recent Files, and Exit (and there is no selection called Options, highlighted or not).

          Jack

          --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com, Bob Smith <robert.smith@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > Now from the Effect-menu select Volume. If a number appears in the box press OK, but if 0.0 appears press cancel.
          > On the keyboard press Home then select Export as wav or Export as mp3 from the File-menu.
          > Now select your directory, write in the record name and press OK.
          >
          > I'm pretty certain I've forgotten something, so if this is double-Dutch or you don't get results let me know and I'll do my best to correct my errors.

        • fearfeasa
          Message 4 of 13 , May 29, 2011
            Why don't you read the documentation ? specifically the user manual, at:

            http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/documentation

            JT Dyamond

            Ar 29/05/11 11:17 :09, scríobh Jack:

            > Hello Bob,
            >
            > I'm already lost. The recording control in the Mixer Toolbar has a
            > default value of Microphone. The top choice, the one you can select
            > directly above Microphone, is something called SPDIF. Then, below
            > SPDIF comes the default value of Microphone, followed by Line In, CD
            > Audio, Video, Aux, Mono Mix, and Stereo Mix.
            >
            > The second bar (directly below the blue Audacity bar) has File, Edit,
            > View, Project, Generate, Effect, Analyze, and Help.
            >
            > The File Menu doesn't give a selection called Options. The only
            > choices that are highlighted at this point are New, Open, Close, Save
            > Project As, Recent Files, and Exit (and there is no selection called
            > Options, highlighted or not).
            >
            > Jack
            >
            > --- In RedHotJazz@yahoogroups.com

          • Bob Smith
            Message 5 of 13 , May 29, 2011
              Dear Jack,

              I've just had a look at the Audacity Help file (it's a long time since I last looked at it), and I'd forgotten that this comes up in English. I'd also forgotten that you need to download a suite called "Lame"*.
              I checked the version number of my Audacity and this is version 1.2.3.
              "SPDIF" stands for 'Sony-Philips Digital Interface Format', and may be the correct one to use.
              My translation "Options" is actually called "Preferences", but how one augments the File-menu is not clear for me yet.
              *So I suggest you:
              Click on 'Online Help' - '+ Audacity Help' - '+ Other' - '+ Exporting MP3 files'
              Now see if this helps.

              Kind Regards

              Bob

            • Bob Smith
              Message 6 of 13 , May 29, 2011
                Dear Patrice,

                Sorry, I'll switch to off-line E-mail postings for similar transgressions in future.

                Kind Regards

                Bob Smith

                Message 7 of 13 , May 29, 2011
                  Bob,

                  The main reason why I disapprove of going as far off-topic as starting a
                  discussion over some particular piece of software is mainly that, to my
                  experience, such questions submitted to any devoted forum are most often
                  preceeded by a complete description of one's system, or followed by endless
                  questions until the "real" misunderstanding is found. I did not have time to
                  read the posts thoroughly, and I am really too busy for that at the moment,
                  but I was under the impression that you'd failed to mention that the input -
                  variously called "what U hear", "stereo mix", or else according to
                  everyone's O.S. - has to be enabled in the first place. For your message to
                  turn into an information of general interest to the group, it would take
                  detailed explanations about this for most everyone, adapted to each and
                  everyone's system on Mac, PC (and why not Amiga? ;-)), different control
                  panels depending on which audio drivers are used, and whether they are using
                  Windows, Leopard, Linux and so on... not even pertaining to Audacity (and
                  even less to pre-war jazz, or Scott's website). Some might add that you can
                  do the same thing with plenty other software, including buit-in ones, and
                  everyone who cannot understand the huge difference between recording sound
                  and grabbing a .ra file from the Realplayer is sure to be confused!
                  Maybe you could also, if you haven't done so, tell your friend that the
                  general output level might interfere, and remind him to disable all other
                  "sounds" (nothing worse than a MSN beep in the middle of a Clarence Williams
                  sample ;-))

                  That is also why, in a jest (but I might actually do it as soon as I've done
                  with my present chores) I had previously suggested creating a different
                  group for such queries. Also including discussions about the future of the
                  RHJ Archives or some possible further equivalent, because I do fear that,
                  sooner or later, the site will no longer be available.

                  Best,

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 29, 2011
                    Sorry everyone, I made a mistake as well, I thought I was replying to a
                    private message!

                    P.
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 31, 2011
                      I am afraid I've had to stop the flood, so as to keep the group free from
                      this, and other discussions related to technical issues - which, as I've
                      desperately tried to explain, are sure to lead to enless questions and
                      suggestions, unrelated to the group's topic.
                      I still think that these, and several other questions regarding the website,
                      the group, or other matters , are worth discussing... possibly outside the
                      RHJ mailing-list, so I have just created
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rhj-tech , an open message board where anyone
                      can post (no need to subscribe, the counterpart being full moderation, of
                      course).
                      I do not have much time to devote to it at the moment, but I hope it will
                      help; I've also taken the liberty of forwarding Marc's message about Macs.