Re: [RedHotJazz] Re: What the Papers Say...

  • lastofthebarons
    Message 1 of 54 , May 27, 2011
      Not so mugging? Well perhaps. but remember that one of the great "muggers" was Dizzy Gillespie and no "Uncle Tom" he. Neither was Armstrong and I find the term applied to him, offensive. Please remember that Armstrong was the only black musician or entertainer of note who went publicly on record and condemned the Eisenhower administration over the segregation issue.

      His only "crime" was that of doing what had to be done to get along in a white man's world as did any black during the 20s and 30s. He was no more an, "Uncle Tom" than were Fletcher Henderson, Joe Oliver, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Jimmy Lunceford, etc., etc.

      Older musicians were often referred to as "Toms" by the younger emerging musicians as they never had to deal with the same problems faced by their seniors.

      Marc

      On 27 May 2011, at 10:31, David Brown wrote:

      > Hi Andrew
      >
      > Interesting parallel there between the two Louis. I think maybe Jordan's
      > persona was 'hipper' than Armstrong's, not so mugging nor Tom.
      >
      > I observe that Jordan's career declined about --oh --er -- 1951, as I read
      > it -- whereas Armstrong was a greater superstar at his death than he had
      > ever been.
      >
      > I could speculate that this was because, at some point, his audience became
      > predominately white and the persona suited. Maybe Jordan's audience was
      > always predominately black and that, with fashion, it moved onto R&B in the
      > 50s.
      >
      > Hi Warren
      >
      > Much appreciated. Enough clues there to know where you are.
      >
      > In 1936 Lil was leading an all male big band, according to Chilton. 'Little
      > Louis jnr' would then likely come from the ranks of that band. If, that is,
      > as I infer, they appeared together and not as separate acts on the same
      > bill.
      >
      > Trite but true -- a good critic must also be a good historian and vice
      > versa.
      >
      > Dave

    • ROBERT R. CALDER
      Message 54 of 54 , Aug 23, 2012
        Well said, Luis!
        NETIQUETTE, PLEASE, some would-be contributors!!!
        You come here to respond to messages
        NOT TO BURY THEM in copies of the same text
        Please delete the hundreds of lines to which
        you are replying.

        RRC