RE: [RedHotJazz] Re: What the Papers Say...

    Message 1 of 54 , May 27, 2011
      Hi Andrew

      Interesting parallel there between the two Louis. I think maybe Jordan's
      persona was 'hipper' than Armstrong's, not so mugging nor Tom.

      I observe that Jordan's career declined about --oh --er -- 1951, as I read
      it -- whereas Armstrong was a greater superstar at his death than he had
      ever been.

      I could speculate that this was because, at some point, his audience became
      predominately white and the persona suited. Maybe Jordan's audience was
      always predominately black and that, with fashion, it moved onto R&B in the
      50s.

      Hi Warren

      Much appreciated. Enough clues there to know where you are.

      In 1936 Lil was leading an all male big band, according to Chilton. 'Little
      Louis jnr' would then likely come from the ranks of that band. If, that is,
      as I infer, they appeared together and not as separate acts on the same
      bill.

      Trite but true -- a good critic must also be a good historian and vice
      versa.

    • ROBERT R. CALDER
      Message 54 of 54 , Aug 23, 2012
        Well said, Luis!
        NETIQUETTE, PLEASE, some would-be contributors!!!
        You come here to respond to messages
        NOT TO BURY THEM in copies of the same text
        Please delete the hundreds of lines to which
        you are replying.

        RRC